Adding handling time to USPS

Highlighted
1 0 0

How do I go about adding handling time to USPS calculated rates in setting?  Currently it shows as 1 business day for priority shipping and 2 business days for first class.  Is there a way to add an extra day for handling to those numbers?

I do not want people buying an item Monday afternoon and thinking they are getting it Tuesday for example.

0 Likes
Highlighted
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
575 18 68

Hi, @Jesse_Carter

This is Max from the Shopify Team.

Using calculated rates from a provider means that your customers will see the name and timing based on the provider, rather than manual dates and rates set by yourself. 

If you require some time to pick and pack orders, or even make products, it would be good to make that clear to your customer at some point along the way. This could be in product descriptions, cart pages, email notifications, etc. Have you implemented any of these?

I'd also suggest adding a shipping page (this could be an FAQ) so, customers could reference the shipping times and processes before and after making a purchase. I'd suggest reading this post - The Benefits of an FAQ Page (And How to Do It Right) for some more ideas on that.

Cheers,
Max

Max | Social Care @ Shopify
 - Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know! 
 - Was your question answered? Mark it as an Accepted Solution
 - To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Shopify Blog

0 Likes
Highlighted
Tourist
9 0 9

Hi Shopify,

Despite putting all the written material everywhere as you'd suggested for the customers to read about the handling time, a lot of them simply miss it and relies on the courier's calculated timeframe.  Also, if you're able to allow us to add additional handling charges to the courier's calculated rate, then i don't see why you wouldn't be able to do this to the shipping date. 

This had happen to us again just recently where USPS quoted 2 days to ship but since customers didn't receive it within 2 days, they're 1.) waste their time so they're upset, 2.) request shipping refund $35.   3.) wants to cancel $270 worth of sales 4.)  Waste our time.

Thanks in advance for hearing us, your customers, out.  I hope to think that we're on the same team here since when our customers are happy, your customers are happy too right?

2 Likes
Highlighted
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
575 18 68

Hi, Daniel. 

I definitely agree that some more flexibility would help with this kind of fulfillment flow in your shop. I'll share your example and feedback with our Development team. The suggestion of creating a comparable field to the rate adjustment option would be an interesting and useful addition. 

For anyone reading up on this, you can make some adjustments to calculated rates like this. Settings > Shipping > click Edit beside the relevant zone > and click Edit beside the relevant calculated rate. A window should pop up with information similar to this: 

15-28-trt2h-nltgw

Other adjustments (that do not appear in this pop up) are not currently available with calculated rates, but please feel free to share any similar examples or requests with us so we can advocate for some changes to better serve your business needs. 

Thanks for taking the time to share some more details with us!

Best, 
Max

0 Likes
Highlighted
Tourist
9 0 9
Hi max, I appreciate your help to forward this information on so improvements can be made. 🤗. Which way would u recommend that we take to monitor this progress so we know it's actually being worked on versus being a clever response to get us off your back? 😊

I apologise if that was offensive as I do not intend to do so. I just care to do my best to see this thru.
1 Like
Highlighted

Another request for this seemingly basic feature that I am surprised to find not already implemented years ago. 

Not only would I like to be able to edit the handling time for listings, but I'd like to be able to offer multiple handling times for different listings. Some of my items ship from my studio, others are print-on-demand and require additional processing time. 

Monster, creature & cryptozoology patches, buttons & stickers.
1 Like
Highlighted
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
575 18 68

Hi, @Daniel_Ong 

Max, again.

We don't have an external place to monitor the requests of other merchants - it's an internal/confidential place where we mark interest and progress in certain features, changes, and product launches. So, for this specific issue, you'll have to trust that I've shared the pertinent information with our team, which is an important part of my job (no offense taken). 

If you are interested in knowing some more about changes that are being released, then there are a few places where you can keep an eye out.

Cheers,
Max

0 Likes
Highlighted
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
575 18 68

Hi, @George_C.

Would you be able to elaborate a bit more on the setup that you have and the impact on your business? It sounds like your frustration might be more geared toward the shipping setup in general, rather than the automated rates?

If you're using any workarounds currently, could you also let us know some more about that?

Thanks,
Max

0 Likes
Highlighted

I have some items that ship from my studio. I tend to ship those within 1-2 days.

I also offer print-on-demand items which have a variable handling time by the provider of 2-7 business days. 

I would like a central place to assign "handling time profiles" at the product, product type, or perhaps collection level. 

I would like to have the option to see this information displayed both on the product page itself, as well as during the checkout process. At checkout, it should at least appear at the Shipping Options stage, if not just displayed somewhere fixed throughout the checkout process. It should probably be added to individual items in the cart, since as in my situation, different items can have different handling and shipping times. 

It should be displayed separately from the shipping times. It should be obvious that handling is the seller's responsibility, and the shipping time is the shipping provider's responsibility. 

As the original post explains, the way it's currently set up can give the impressions that items will ship immediately and be there in 1-2 days, when that 1-2 days is only for the actual shipping process. It may take a day or two to actually get it dropped off and scanned at the shipping service. 

Perhaps you could even add "rush processing" options for an additional fee. 

In addition to just general customer awareness of handling time for orders, at times I am working out of town for extended periods and would like to be able to edit my handling time for studio-shipped items in one place and have it apply to all items assigned that handling time setting. Think of it like a "vacation mode" setting that doesn't require you to shut down your entire shop (as the Help docs currently suggest).

Shutting down your shop for vacations is not only a very poor idea for customer experience, but a terrible idea for your hard-earned Google search result placements and listings. Can't believe that's the official suggestion from Shopify. 

The automatic calculated shipping settings are great. I just want to see an additional handling time feature implemented as well. 

Monster, creature & cryptozoology patches, buttons & stickers.
1 Like
Highlighted
Tourist
6 0 10
Absolutely! Sell handmade items & I came over from Etsy. We could check a field which indicates the number of days an item took to make/fulfill before shipping. It then added those days along with the estimates USPS to give the buyer a beautifully stream lined date they could expect to RECIEVE the item. I have filled out ALL fields, tabs, cart thank you and email info reiterating this. It’s sad how people literally DON’T read the dis riot ion, policies, important info, FAQ etc. this lets them know at the time of adding toncartbghe time line.
Love the suggestion it could be added at the mailing level- like we did for the “handeling fife” we can add on tonyhe calculated field.

Finally- to go along with that- it would also be nice the if we could arrange orders by due date. Help us plan the week. If we have A list of items which need to be fulfilled based on processing date (Etsy does this) we can keep in track. Another step I. Keeping us on a guided time frame. Happy clients are cli Mrs we keep!
2 Likes