Adding the envelope weight to calculate shipping cost

2 0 1

I have set up all my products and added the weight of each of them.  I also have three sizes of flat envelopes to ship my prints and accordingly, each of them weights differently. 

I found that I can create custom envelopes and assign their corresponding weight but don't know where to combine the weight of the print or prints and the envelope used.  For example a print weights 1.2 onz. The envelope used for shipping this print weights 2.6 onz.  Combined the package will weigh 3.8 onz.  BUT I can send 1, 2 or 3 prints in that same envelope. 

Where do I assign which flat envelope I use with each product so shipping cost can be automatically calculated for the weight of the print or prints AND the envelope? I need help!

Shopify Partner
123 6 22

Hey @lanuevatienda,

What you're looking for isn't possible with Shopify's built-in shipping options. There is no shipping logic built-in, so you can't tell the system that 3 items of the same size can fit into envelope A, or that the weight for it is X. Shopify also only sends one package size off for live rate calculations, so your 'default' size is the one that is sent off as the package dims. You will have to simplify your shipping setup or use a third-party shipping app. 

We have a lot of artists who use Intuitive Shipping to do exactly what you're describing. You can create Shipping Scenarios that tell the system that 3 prints of X size can fit into envelope A, and the system will send the proper weight off to your carrier. If you're a new store, we do have a 'Starter' plan that includes 100 orders for $14.99/mo. You can book a demo with our team by following this link or email us directly at support@intuitiveshipping.com with more details of your shipping requirements and our team can send you a detailed configuration guide.

Warm regards,
Sharon 

Co-Founder / CEO @ Intuitive Shipping Inc.
Intuitive Shipping | Smart Boxing | Automate Shipping Profiles

0 Likes
2 0 1

Dear Sharon-Reeds:

Thank you very much for your response. It helped me a lot knowing I can't set up certain shipping scenarios, and that I have to simplify my shipping set-up. I looked the Intuitive Shipping App you mentioned. Looks very good and have great reviews, but it comes with a price.  I am starting my store so, maybe I will try it later.

Best regards,

Edgardo

0 Likes
Shopify Partner
123 6 22

Hey Edgardo,

You're very welcome! Make sure to keep our 'Starter' plan in mind - we do have a 14-day free trial so you can test out the app live in your store without having to pay for it.

A current workaround might be making your 'default' package size within Shopify the largest envelope size so that you are collecting enough for shipping on all orders. Especially when you're just starting out, every dollar counts, so you want to make sure you are profiting on every order you make. 

I hope you have a safe and successful holiday season!!

Warm regards,
Sharon 

Co-Founder / CEO @ Intuitive Shipping Inc.
Intuitive Shipping | Smart Boxing | Automate Shipping Profiles

0 Likes