Additional charges after an order is fulfilled- what is the best way to proceed?

Christina_Zacha
3 0 0

Hi there, 

I am about to launch a website using the solution provided by Shopify, however I want to have the ability to charge my customers' payment method (Debit card, Credit Card) extra, in case they don't return the product they rented on time. Of course, I will have a respective, dedicated section about the topic on the Terms of Use of the website, which the customer will have to accept prior to placing an order. 

As far as I understood, Shopify payments don't cater for this, and there's not a plugin available that can help me with that, unless if withhold a deposit in advance, which I would like to avoid. 

Would you know what the best way to move forward is? 

Thanks in advance. 

0 Likes
JoesIdeas
Shopify Expert
1244 111 310

You have to authorize a charge from a customer before charging them, so I think your best move would be to charge a deposit fee, then refund that later. Kind of like when you check in a hotel they charge your credit card extra for security deposit, then refund it when you checkout (unless you threw a rager )

Founder of Speed Boostr (Shopify optimization experts, theme customization, custom app development).
Creator of Shopify Analyzer (first performance analysis tool for Shopify sites, free for the Shopify community).
Creator of Order Automator (auto tag orders and customers + auto fulfillment + more automations).
More apps: Theme Scientist (A/B testing), Tip Jar (add a tip button), File Optimizer (optimize CSS, JS, Liquid).
0 Likes