AmazonPay Transaction Fee

2 0 0

I recently added the option to pay through AmazonPay to my website. Shopify says that there will be no additonal fees if we have Shopify Payments open as well, which I do since that was previously my only payment method I used. I did a test purcahse and was chaged a transation fee from Amazon. Am I missing something else that needs to be done or is this a completely different fee?

0 Likes
Shopify Partner
97 0 12

Hello there,

From the Shopify instructions (https://help.shopify.com/en/manual/payments/amazon-pay) it doesn't appear that it should. What does the line item for the free say? And was it charged by Shopify or by Amazon?

I pasted the instructions from that page below.

Todd

Amazon Pay

Amazon Pay is a fast, easy, and trusted way for your customers to make purchases on your online store by using payment and shipping information stored in their Amazon accounts. You keep full control of the customer relationship, and your product-level data is never captured or shared with Amazon. Learn more at payments.amazon.com/merchant.

Note

You'll be charged transaction fees each time a customer makes a purchase by using this payment method, unless you also activate Shopify Payments.

Supported countries

To be eligible for Amazon Pay, your Shopify business must be based in one of the following countries:

• United States
  • United Kingdom
  • Denmark
  • France
  • Germany
  • Hungary
  • Italy
  • Japan
  • Luxembourg
  • Netherlands
  • Portugal
  • Spain
  • Sweden

Note

Amazon Pay supports only USD, GBP, JPY, and EUR. Amazon Pay appears in the Payment providerssection of your Shopify admin only if you are using one of the supported currencies. Learn more about supported currencies for Amazon Pay from the Amazon Merchant help.

Activate Amazon Pay

1. From your Shopify admin, go to Settings > Payment providers.
  1. In the Amazon Pay section, click Activate:

2. Follow the instructions on the Amazon Pay website.

3. If you have set a custom primary domain for your Shopify store, then you need to add the associated custom URL to the Amazon Pay web settings. You can find the Amazon Pay web settings in the Login with Amazon section of Amazon Seller Central. Add the complete URL, for example https://johns-apparel.com, to Allowed JavaScript Origins.

After you’ve agreed to provide your Shopify store with access to your Amazon merchant account, Amazon Pay will appear as an active payment provider on the Payments page in your Shopify admin.

Todd - ShopClerk Order Tracking for Shopify - https://shopclerk.net
0 Likes
Highlighted
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
555 36 77

Hi, Megan. 

Dallas here from the Social Care Team. 

When it comes to transaction fees in regards to Shopify Payments, you are right there are none. This, however, isn't the case for any of the other payment processors can connect to Shopify. What that means is, in order to not be charged transaction fees the payment will have to actually go through Shopify Payments directly. 

At times when Amazon Pay is used, the payments from your customers won't be going through SP they will be going through Amazon Pay. As money from that transaction will never be routed or passed through SP, it will be independently processed by the third party processor, Amazon Pay. Therefore, the fee for that transaction will come out as a transaction fee. 

I hope this helps to clarify. If you have any more questions please don't hesitate to ask me by replying to this forum post. 

Best, 
Dallas

Dallas | Social Care @ Shopify
 - Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know! 
 - Was your question answered? Mark it as an Accepted Solution
 - To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Shopify Blog

0 Likes
2 0 0

Dallas, 

That makes sense and is understandable but is also slightly contridciatory to the sentance "You'll be charged transaction fees each time a customer makes a purchase by using this payment method, unless you also activate Shopify Payments." in the instuctions. This makes it seem as long as the two options are avalible on the checkout page , SP and AP, that you will not be charged. 

Thanks for your quick responese!

Megan

0 Likes
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
555 36 77

Hey, Megan.

Thank you for sharing how your understood that, I do see what you mean. However, on the link that you shared for transaction fees, it goes into a bit more detail about when transaction fees are charged or aren't charged. 

"If you're using Shopify Payments, then transaction fees don't apply for orders. Transaction fees also don't apply for manual payment methods. Manual payment methods include cash on delivery (COD), bank deposits, checks, test orders, and draft orders marked as paid or pending. Transaction fees don't apply for POS orders.

If you don't use Shopify Payments or a manual payment method, then transaction fees apply for orders in addition to the processing fee charged by your payment provider."

I hope this helps to clarify how transaction fees work in a bit more detail. If you would like some more assistance, however, please let me know. 

Best, 

Dallas

Dallas | Social Care @ Shopify
 - Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know! 
 - Was your question answered? Mark it as an Accepted Solution
 - To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Shopify Blog

0 Likes