Analytics shows "Reached Checkout Session" but no abandoned checkout

Solved
Highlighted
1 0 0

Hello, 

I am a new Shopify store owner. I just started an ad for a product and my dashboard shows (1) session reached checkout but there was no order or abandoned checkout. Shouldn't I see abandoned checkout if a purchase wasn't completed? Can someone explain me? Thank you. 

0 Likes
Highlighted
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
202 21 48

This is an accepted solution.

Hi, @AvantBP!

I'm Miles from the Social Care team at Shopify. Welcome to the Shopify Community.

Abandoned checkout emails or orders are only created when the customer has entered details into the checkout and navigated to the shipping page. If your analytics are showing that a customer reached the checkout, but no abandoned cart was created, it means that the customer clicked from the cart to the checkout, then navigated away without entering any details and moving to the shipping page. A customer navigating through the checkout to the shipping page saves their details in order to create the abandoned cart.

If you're concerned that your abandoned cart is not working, you can always test it out yourself too. Jump into your store and add a product to your cart. Enter the checkout and put in your details and navigate to the shipping page. Then, close the page, or navigate to another site. You should then see your abandoned cart appear.

Once you've got some abandoned carts, you're able to check if they attempted to make a payment but failed. If you're seeing this, you may have an issue with your payment processing. Each time a customer tries to pay for their order, a payment event is noted in the history of the abandoned checkout. You can expand payment events for more details.

Payment events can be helpful if a customer is trying to place an order and their payment fails. If a customer contacts you because their payment doesn't work at checkout, then you can view the details of the payment event, and use the information to help your customer. To view this follow these steps:

• From your Shopify admin, go to Orders > Abandoned checkouts.
  • Click an abandoned checkout.
  • Scroll to History.
  • Click a payment event.

Check out our guide on Abandoned Checkouts to learn more. Thanks!

Miles | Social Care @ Shopify 
 - Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know! 
 - Was your question answered? Mark it as an Accepted Solution
 - To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Shopify Blog

1 Like