Applying payment platforms to individual products on Shopify

Highlighted
1 0 0

Hi there,

My store is shipping from Australia - From what I can tell, if I am selling alcohol in my shop I cannot use 'Shopify payment' to collect my payments as per there product restrictions listed. - 'no age restricted products'

As only one of our items is age restricted (alcohol), is it possible to have a seperate third party payment option attached to this product only and use Shopify payment for the rest of our stores items? If so how would I apply this? 

Trying to take advantage of the no transaction fees with Shopify Payment.

Thanks for your help in advance!

0 Likes
Highlighted
Community Moderator
Community Moderator
3073 231 502

Hi @Megan85,

Nick here from Shopify. Great question! 

This is a great idea in theory and I love how you're thinking with it, but it isn't possible. It  wouldn't be possible to specify a gateway to use per product types. Something else to be aware of here is using restricted products on your store with Shopify Payments as it could flag it to our team to investigate. For extra clarification on the Shopify Payments terms of service you can read them here

A store can only have one primary payment gateway at any one time but PayPal can be added, so for example, Shopify Payments and PayPal or a third party gateway and PayPal. But you wouldn't be able to have Shopify Payments and a third party gateway. I'm not sure if there is an alternative around this other than to follow the terms of service and double check you are following them. In this case, if you want to keep selling alcohol, you wouldn't be able to use Shopify Payments but if you want to use it, you would have to stop selling alcohol related products. 

I hope this answers your question, if you have any others, please let me know! 

All the best, Nick 

Nick | Community Moderator @ Shopify
 - Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know! 
 - Was your question answered? Mark it as an Accepted Solution
 - To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Shopify Blog

0 Likes