Australian Regional Shipping

Highlighted
Tourist
8 0 2

Hello,

I am thinking of moving my site to Shopify and am in the testing phase.

I notice that the Australian states are all listed as destinations, but is it possible to have regions within states ie Far North QLD and Regional West Australia etc.

We use couriers for our freight and the cost to freight to Cairns, QLD can be two or three times the cost of Say Brisbane, QLD for the same item.

Has anybody discovered a way to best deal with this?

Thanks for your help,

D

0 Likes
Highlighted
Shopify Expert
10006 116 1820

You can't add more refinements to the states shown for Aus. If you need more granular control you're talking more real time carrier shipping. Depending on your carrier (or courier) there might be an existing app that can help - of course that requires that you are on the unlimited plan and above.

There's other less reliable ways to add an additional fee for those harder to get to areas, but I'd generally aim for the path of least resistance.

★ Winning Partner of the Build a Business competition. ★ http://freakdesign.com.au
0 Likes
Highlighted
Tourist
8 0 2

This is such a big country, however if they had just added about four more regions (eg FNQ, WA- South, WA North etc), they'd have it pretty much covered for 99% of sales

0 Likes
Highlighted
Tourist
8 0 2

That's Great Thanks

0 Likes
Highlighted
Shopify Expert
10006 116 1820

The link to the carrier shipping was just for example. I'm in Australia -- I know what we've got here. Apps that offer real time shipping rates for things like aus post will require that your plan supports real time carrier rates. If there's no app, you could always create your own.

★ Winning Partner of the Build a Business competition. ★ http://freakdesign.com.au
0 Likes
Highlighted
Tourist
8 0 2

Great Thanks!

0 Likes
Highlighted
20 0 0

Finally, some discussion on the challenges of Shipping in Australia. For my business, we can't afford the full plan so we've just created our own rates. Initially it was very complicated but we've refined our rates since then.

I'm relying on the customers selecting the appropriate rates which is somewhat risky. At checkout, they select either the "regional" or "city" rate and prices are based on the state they're from. 

I've considered doing state rates but like you, found that some regional areas can be at least double or sometimes more. Since we've only just started, we're in no position to absorb the costs. In saying that, I believe the majority of our customers will be from the citiy anyway.

Have you come up with a better solution?

0 Likes
Highlighted
2 0 0

I started out by letting customers choose what state they are in, but this did not work well as customers would just choose any state.

I have worked out the average rate per state.  Yes you will lose money on some areas but also gain on other ones. 

0 Likes
Highlighted
Tourist
8 0 2

I have been setting up a store for 3 months and am about to leave before we open beacause I cannot find a way to calculate freight on my whole range across Australia within shopify.

We sell homewares and furniture.  We could have a cushion cover -(flat rate australia post $8.00 anywhere in oz) or we could have a dining table (courier by volumetric weight and excluding some regions).

The amount of time I am wasting trying to resolve this is crazy, and even the apps on unlimited plan fall short.

Any ideas anyone?

Thanks!  

0 Likes
Highlighted
Shopify Partner
461 7 39

Hello,

Answering for the benefit of others with similar query.

You can try the Australia Post Rates & Labels app that will calculate the rates based on factors like Ship from and to addresses, product weight and dimensions etc. The app will help you show calculated rates at checkout. So, once you enter the shipping address, the app will show the rates based in the location which you have given.

Customer Success @ PluginHive
Shipping Automation | FedEx shipping | Multi-carrier shipping | Shipment Tracking | Australia Post shipping
0 Likes