Auto Payment Capture Issue

srb32459
Excursionist
21 0 8

Is there a way to have a delayed auto capture of credit card payments?  If I need to refund an order Shopify ALWAYS takes it's cut.  Even if I refund the order within minutes of it being placed I still get hit with Shopify credit card fees.  I don't want to deal with added steps of manual capture.

Ideally I'd like to automatically capture payments 48 or 72 hours after they are placed.  That way I have a short window to refund orders without getting dinged by Shopify.  Any solutions much appreciated!

0 Likes
Peter
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
2203 216 465

@srb32459 

I'm afraid it would not be possible to delay the capture of payments, only to have them automatically capture the payment 48-72 hours later. You would need to use the manual capture option if you are processing a high number of returns and wish to avoid the credit card fees. 

May I ask what is causing the high refund/cancellation process for your business?

Peter | Social Care @ Shopify 
 - Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know! 
 - Was your question answered? Mark it as an Accepted Solution
 - To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Shopify Blog

0 Likes
srb32459
Excursionist
21 0 8

Thank you for your response Peter.  We are a local tourist related business.  Sometimes people book outside our delivery zone so we issue a refund.  I didn't see a way to set our shipping zone to specific zip codes.  The closest I could find was to only allow shipping to Florida...which is a bit broad.  Sometimes they forget to use a discount code or need some other adjustment so I refund a portion of their order.  It just seems needless to charge Shopify fees if a full or partial refund is given back within 24 hours.  We will be getting very busy going into tourist season so I also don't want the headache of having to go back in and manually capture payments.

0 Likes
Peter
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
2203 216 465

@srb32459 

Thank you for the context. You are right in that it is not possible to set up shipping rates based on zip code, only country/state level at the moment. Assuming you are only selling to local people and not international guests; have you considered Local Delivery? This feature would allow you to offer local delivery based on zip code and would stop people from purchasing outside your radius. Alternatively, you can also consider using a third-party app such as Advanced Shipping Rules. 

The app will require the "CCS" feature which comes for free if you pay for your Shopify subscription annually instead of month (10% savings on the plan for annual payments as well), or with the $299/month plan. Otherwise, the feature can be added to your account for $20/month. 

Using the Local Delivery option would solve some of the problems; however, I'm afraid I do not have any alternative workarounds outside of using manual payment captures. That said, I have submitted your feedback to our Products team so they can look into if building an auto-capture feature is something we can launch in the future. 

Peter | Social Care @ Shopify 
 - Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know! 
 - Was your question answered? Mark it as an Accepted Solution
 - To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Shopify Blog

0 Likes