Auto-fulfill digital downloads PLUS send physical products for fulfillment?

Shawn_Van_Daele
1 0 0

Hey there! We currently have a fully digital download store, that auto-fulfills orders as soon as they come in (through the Shopify digital attachment app). We'd like to integrate Printful so we can offer physical products, but I'm having a hard time wrapping my head around how to set it up. For example, if an order has digital products, they are automatically fulfilled (download links supplied) and then the physical products are sent off to Printful for fulfillment (and appropriate shipping costs are added only to the printed products). Any insight? Thanks in advance!

0 Likes
Dave_E
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
114 0 18

Hey Shawn! 

Dave here from  the Guru Team :) 

Yes you're 100% correct. If you attach a digital product to a physical one the physical product still works as normal. So with dropshipping set up and a digital product active when a customer places an order they will receive the digital product instantly and the fulfilment process is initiated. 

As a bit of a guide on this take a look at: 

If you have the checkbox marked on the physical products that shipping is required then shipping rates will be attached as defined :) 

I hope this helps! 

All the Best, 
Dave | Shopify

0 Likes
David_Shaheen
Tourist
16 0 1

I'm having an issue with this. I have a product variant that is a Bundle of physical and dgitial product (paperback book, ebook, and audiobook). I have marked this variant as a physical product and I turned the auto fulfillment option OFF for my store. But, when someone ordered, it send them their digital file and marked the entire order as fulfilled, so it did NOT import the data to my shipping plugin, since that only happens for orders marked as UNFULFILLED. Please advise!

0 Likes
Peter
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
2290 243 480

Hey, David. 

Peter here from Shopify Support!

When using the Digital Downloads app, you will need to alter the settings within the app for each product so that the app doesn't autofill the order on your behalf. 

To adjust the fulfillment settings of a digital attachment:

1. From your Shopify admin, click Apps.
  2. Click Digital Downloads.
  3. Click the digital product you'd like to review.
  4. Click the gear icon and select Settings in the drop-down menu
  5. From the Settings dialogue box, select the fulfillment option you want
  6. Click SUBMIT.

If there's anything else I can help with please don't hesitate to reply back and I'll happily help out!

All the best, 

Peter
Shopify Support

Peter | Social Care @ Shopify 
 - Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know! 
 - Was your question answered? Mark it as an Accepted Solution
 - To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Shopify Blog

David_Shaheen
Tourist
16 0 1

Wow Peter, you're right. I found it. You need to let customer support know about this. None of them knew! They only told me about how to set the overall fulfillment option under settings to automatic or manual...but apparently the digital downloads app ignores that setting and overrides it.

Ok, now you will be my hero if you can help me with this...or even point me in the right direction. I want to customize the digital download email based on which variant was purchased. Can you point me to the Liquid code that can do that, or even in the general direction? I can figure out Liquid if I have a starting point. I want to give certain instructions for when the ebook is purchased, but not for the audiobook (so I won't confused people). Basically, I need the code to say: If ebook variate was just purchased, include the following text, etc.

0 Likes
Peter
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
2290 243 480

Hey, David!

Glad I could help out! In terms of the template, this question is outside my level of expertise, however, after looking through the app, it doesn't appear that it would be possible to have different templates based on the variant. You can edit the default template by navigating to the settings within the app, however, what you're trying to set up isn't possible due to limitations within the app. 

While I've never used them myself, you could consider SendOwl or FetchApp as these may offer more robust features and possibly help with getting custom templates created. 

All the best, 

Peter 
Shopify Support

0 Likes
David_Shaheen
Tourist
16 0 1

I spoke to soon, Your fix did work for my bundle variant that has both physical and digital product in that it did not mark the order as fulfilled (since I turned off automatic fulfilllemt), BUT IT DID NOT SEND THE DIGITAL DOWNLOADS! So, now I guess I would have to email the download link to people myself. Unless the download is sent once I indicate the physical item has shipped. Do you know?

Yes, I'm testing SendOwl and it does fix my problem for at least $9/month :) The reason it works is becasuse SendOwl is the one sending the digital file and Shopify doesn't know it :) So, you can tell shopify no to fulfill automatically and not attached any files (leaving the order unfulfilled) which you need for shipping apps, and then Sendownl sends the download or downloads.

0 Likes
Peter
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
2290 243 480

Hey, David. 

You're hitting the nail on the head with that one, and I apologize that I didn't make that clearer the first time around. If you select the manual fulfillment option, then you need to manually mark the order as fulfilled before a download link is emailed to the customer. 

Let me know if you run into any other issues!

All the best, 

Peter
Shopify Support

0 Likes
David_Shaheen
Tourist
16 0 1

Right but I can’t mark as fulfilled until I ship any potential physical products in that order, otherwise it removes it from my Shipping integration. But, if I wait until shipment to mark as fulfilled, that's not good either bc there is a delay in getting the digital goods. So, it appears that only using shopify and the shopify digital downloads app is not sufficient when you want to sell an order that has both physical and digital variants...or one bundle variant that has both physical and digital together.

0 Likes
Peter
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
2290 243 480

Hey, David. 

Ah, right right. I see where the issue is now and how that can be impactful to your business seeing as the file isn't sent shortly after the purchase. At the risk of sounding like a broken record, this is more so a limitation of the app itself as it's not the most robust digital downloads app currently available. Nevertheless, I've gotten this sent up as feedback to our apps teams as they can look into getting our app up to speed with the features you and many other merchants require for these more complex situations. While this isn't an immediate solution, it does sound like SendOwl has the functionality that you require to help get this setup. 

Let me know if you have any other questions!

All the best, 

Peter
Shopify Support

0 Likes