Autocomplete Shipping Addresses UK

Tira
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
1119 75 180

Hey, @freya0328.

Tira here. Thanks for chiming in. I've added a workaround on page 1 of this Shopify Community thread that you can find at this link: using the language editor to add messaging to double check the address at checkout

I would love to know if this workaround helps. I would also like to provide any feedback that you may have to our developers. If you have any additional thoughts, please reply to this thread here. Once I have seen your reply, I will like your post (as I've mentioned in the linked post for all feedback) to indicate that we've received and forwarded your feedback to our developers.

Are you located in the UK?

Tira | Social Care @ Shopify 
 - Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know! 
 - Was your question answered? Mark it as an Accepted Solution
 - To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Shopify Blog

0 Likes
paulmcc
Tourist
4 0 6

Hi,

while the option to have a message is ok, it's not really a fix.

A very large number of UK ecommerce sites will have UK postcode lookup or autocomplete functionality.  It means fewer errors and looks far more professional.  

Fetchify offer integrations to a very large number of ecommerce  platforms - 31 according to their own website (including Shopify plus).

For Shopify not to offer an integration is very short sighted IMHO but maybe the UK market isn't that big for Shopify?

My only interest in using Fetchify is that it works, and works very well.

Tira
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
1119 75 180

Hey, @paulmcc

Tira here. Thanks so much for adding these details with your feedback, we really appreciate it. You mentioned that there are several platforms that have Google Autocomplete as a feature on their platform. Do you have any examples that you can share? This information will be helpful for our developer team to be aware of and understand, so that we can improve the platform for you and all of our merchants.

Let us know and I would be happy to add this to your feedback to our developers.

Talk soon,

0 Likes
paulmcc
Tourist
4 0 6

Hi,

there are many hundreds of ecommerce sites in the UK that use a postcode lookup functionality - typically Fetchify or anything similar.  These are clearly not Shopify sites although they may be Shopify Plus sites.

Google address auto complete is NOT widely used in the UK as most domestic addresses are not in there, thus rendering it pretty useless.

There must be post code/zip code look up requirements in other countries - USA? Canada?  or are they all using Google address autocomplete?

There clearly is a demand in the UK for this so I'm not sure why Shopify can't offer it.

Lionfish
1 0 2

It really is a feature-fail on Shopify's part, and I've encountered the same issue with Wix for eComm. They both lock down the basic version of the platforms cart so that it can't be modified in any way but it is available in ShopifyPlus. More annoyingly, whilst @paulmcc you're right that Googles AutoComplete dataset in the UK is very out of date, it is available to Shopify platforms in the US, so they know there is a need for it. We clearly all moaned so much about Google over here that they removed it but didn;t think to offer anything else. Surely they could whitelabel something like Fetchify into the platform for a marginal cost rolled into the subscription fee, have it as a paid add-on or a 'shopify approved' app to modify the checkout? would make the UX and conversion so much better.

Tira
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
1119 75 180

Thanks @paulmcc for expanding on your feedback from earlier. We really appreciate it and have forwarded your feedback to our developers.

Just to reiterate, we have a list of countries where Google Autocompletion is provided in address fields here in our help docs: Set up order processing - Provide Autocompletion in Address Fields.

To make it easier for you and the community, here is a list of countries we support with this feature directly from the help doc I linked:
Australia, Austria, Belgium, Brazil, Canada, Denmark, France, Germany, Hong Kong SAR, India, Italy, Japan, Luxembourg, the Netherlands, New Zealand, Spain, Switzerland, and the United States.

We will add more countries as support for their addresses becomes available. If we move forward with any updates, we’ll list these in our changelog or our announcements page.

Please continue to leave your feedback, I know it can take some time to think of suggestions, so please add them as a reply to this thread as they come in. As I mentioned earlier, any feedback will be given a “Like” to indicate we have received and forwarded your feedback.

When leaving feedback, please make sure to include as many details as possible so that we are aware of what you need, why it’s important to you, and how we can help.

Cheers,

0 Likes
paulmcc
Tourist
4 0 6

Hi,

thanks for your feedback about the other countries.

However, Google address autocomplete does not work successfully in the UK.

This thread started about the UK and the options available to us.  Unfortunately Google address autocomplete is not a viable option.

AllBam
Tourist
9 0 5

Fetchify have now launched an app using their address database, but (unless you are Shopify Plus) then it is not an ideal solution. (It is not Fetchify's fault - it is due to Shopify's limitations).

The app checks the address and prompts the customer to correct errors on the order confirmation page - AFTER checkout. This has a couple of major limitations:

• Many customers will just not see or ignore it
  • Our orders are automatically synced to a fulfilment centre every 15 minutes. If a customer places an order at the wrong time then the order will be synced BEFORE the address has been updated in Shopify. Changes to addresses after the order has been synced to the fulfilment centre do not get pulled through to the fulfilment centre by our fulfilment centre's software.

I am please that Fetchify have tried to provide a solution of sorts, but it is nowhere near as good as real time address checking on the checkout page. Shopify, please find a way of allowing this again. I understand the security implications of allowing changes to be made to the checkout page, but surely Shopify could vet an app that does this to ensure that there are no security concerns.

0 Likes
Kate_Findlay
Tourist
10 0 1

I am in complete agreement with you. Loosing Fetchify functionality and the auto lookup for UK addresses is a HUGE step backwards. Every self respecting eCommerce site in the UK has post code lookup using the Post Office post code finder. It is incredibly short sighted of Shopify not to allow this functionality. Don't they care about their UK customers? 

0 Likes
NDJohn
2 0 1

I tried the Fetchify app for a few hours yesterday and there are issues, to say the least! I know they have their hands tied here, so I am not blaming Fetchify. But it just doesn't work.

1. Shopify's own store pickup. Use it and the buyer gets a message on the confirmation page "There was an error with Address Validation.". Not very reassuring for a customer. Had an email straight away from a regular customer questioning it. 

2. I placed an order to test with delivery and made a mistake in my shipping address on purpose. The suggested address was to correct to the wrong address I had entered, (the wrong business based on me entering the wrong street number) with no option to amend it to the correct address. So a customer would know they had made a mistake - but had 2 choices - amend to another incorrect address based on their mistake or live with the original error and hope it comes. Frustrating and utterly pointless. 

Shopify really need to act on this ASAP. If they send me one more email asking me to consider using Shopify Plus whilst ignoring all our requests to add this simple bit of functionality to basic Shopify that is urgently needed, my head is going to explode! We have had so many postcode/address mistakes since Fetchify stopped working. It is beyond a joke now.