Automatically charge customers

Highlighted
6 0 0

We are a sustainable clothing subscription box company where customers can try different clothing, keep what hey like, return what they don't. We have recharge for our subscription service, but we need a way to charge customers if they don't return product to us or pay us for the product. Is there a way to do that?

0 Likes
Highlighted
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
507 34 73

Hi, @breabox!

Sophia here from Shopify.

We are rolling out new order editing features that will allow you to add an item to the order for an additional charge. Once the cost of the order has changed, the customer then receives a checkout link to make the additional payment. This feature is currently in beta, so in the meantime, you could create a draft order to send them an invoice for the additional charge. However, neither of these options would be an automatic process.

I took a look through ReCharge’s help documents and found that you can edit the price of the customer’s subscription, but this option would be a manual process as well and would need to be switched back to the original subscription price after the additional charge went through.

What I’d recommend in this case is reaching out to ReCharge directly if you haven’t already to see if they have any other options through their app that may help. You can get in touch with them at support@rechargeapps.com or by heading to Apps in your admin and clicking “Get support” next to the ReCharge app. 

Are you marketing your subscription products as a clothing subscription or more so as a styling service? I’m wondering if it would be possible for you to increase the subscription cost and then issue refunds to any customers who do end up returning product. This might be the best solution if most customers will keep their items and fewer would be sending them back.

Please let me know if you have any questions!

Sophia | Social Care @ Shopify
 - Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know! 
 - Was your question answered? Mark it as an Accepted Solution
 - To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Shopify Blog

0 Likes
Highlighted
6 0 0

We are marketing our company as a subscription box company and a styling service. We actively use both features. Our customers sign up for a box and pay for the styling fee. Then we style a box for them. When they receive the box in the mail, they have 7 days to try the clothes on. They keep what they like and return the rest. A few customers have complained that they don't like having to go back to the website to pay for the clothes they keep. They want us to be able to bill their credit card. I am hitting a wall when it comes to this issue. I can't find an app that will let me charge the customer automatically, without them having to go back into the website. We need to be able to charge them for all the clothes they receive if they never return them and we need to be able to charge them for the clothes they do decide to keep. 

0 Likes
Highlighted
6 0 0

We aren't able to include the price of the clothes in the price for the box because the prices of the clothes vary for very customer and can get pretty high. The cost of the clothes in the box is usually $200-400.

0 Likes
Highlighted
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
507 34 73

Hi, @breabox.

I’ve researched a few other subscription box styling services, and they all seem to operate similarly. Either the customer pays the styling fee and they’re charged later for what they decide to keep, or they’re charged for all of the clothes up front and refunded for whatever they return. In the cases where the customer pays later for what they want to keep, they do have to come back to the website to complete the purchase.

An app like Charge Me Later or Edit Order might streamline the process for the customer so that they don’t have to go through the trouble of logging into an account or finding items on your website, but they’ll still need to go through the checkout to approve a charge.

The Shopify checkout won’t have a way to store and charge the card without a pay later app or subscription service app in use. If there isn’t an app that works for you, the other option is to reach out to one of the 
Shopify Experts to have something custom designed if necessary. Was ReCharge able to offer you any suggestions when you reached out to them?

If there are any app developers or other merchants in the Community here who can offer a solution here, please don’t hesitate to reply!

Sophia | Social Care @ Shopify

0 Likes
Highlighted
Community Moderator
Community Moderator
3386 252 602

Hi everyone, 

I'm happy to share order editing is now available, one of the issues discussed in this topic and might be applicable to the overall discussion here. 

To learn more check out this post, the Help Center and the Shopify Changelog. Thanks! 

Note: Since this topic hasn't had activity in a while I am going to lock it. If you would like to share feedback or have questions about Order Editing please start a new topic and if needed reference this topic. 

Nick | Community Moderator @ Shopify

0 Likes