Bare Bones Shipping Solutions?

Highlighted
Excursionist
37 0 9

I know there are probably lots of shipping solutions if you're willing to pay a monthly fee, but is there a solution for lower volume stores just starting out?

I've discovered that for my purposes, USPS is the most cost-effective carrier with their First Class and Priority Mail rates.

It seems that Shopify promotes these shipping strategies https://www.shopify.com/blog/3033052-shipping-rate-strategies-for-your-online-store For my store, I don't foresee offering free shipping as I will be shipping heavy, fragile objects in the future. Flat rate shipping would greatly overcharge some customers and greatly undercharge others, depending on the fragility/weight of what is ordered.

Is every shipping quote really based on the Default box? If so, it seems like I will either overcharge some and undercharge others.

Do you calculate the dimensional weight of each item?

Do you use any of the shipping apps that you would recommend?

Any advice would be much appreciated! I feel like I'm going down a shipping rabbit hole.

0 Likes
Highlighted
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
47 0 22

Hi ! Hope your day is going well. 

My name is Elissa, and I'm on Shopify's Guru Team!

To answer your questions: 

Is every shipping quote really based on the Default box? If so, it seems like I will either overcharge some and undercharge others.

Yes it is, we recommend to use an average box size if you have multiple different sizes for shipping to get the closest accurate rate. 

Do you calculate the dimensional weight of each item?

Your default shipping dimensions will be used to calculate the dimensional weight of an order. These dimensions are sent to your shipping carrier along with your order's weight in order to calculate shipping rates for your customer. Dimensional weight is determined by the carrier based on the height, width, and depth of your packages.

Do you use any of the shipping apps that you would recommend?

We have a lot of different shipping apps that I would recommend, was there a specific solution you were looking for?

Hope this helps, if you have any other questions please let me know!

Elissa // Shopify

0 Likes
Highlighted
Shopify Partner
461 7 39

Answering for the benefit of others with similar requirements.

I hope your requirement is for apps that calculate rates based on product dimensions and allows to add custom boxes for packaging. I would suggest you try the Multi Carrier Shipping Label app, that would help you automate the packaging process based on the product weight & dimensions. You can add custom boxes based on the product and the app automatically chooses the right box based on the customer input. Also, the app helps you handle the shipping process as well.

Customer Success @ PluginHive
Shipping Automation | FedEx shipping | Multi-carrier shipping | Shipment Tracking | Australia Post shipping
0 Likes