CBD Products

Highlighted
1 0 0

Hi, I can't find a relevant topic on this here, certainly not a recent one anyway so I hope it's ok to ask this.

I have developed a new Shopify store and am ready to launch soon.  I will be selling CBD products (dropshipping from a supplier in Europe).  I know there have been/and still are certain issues around selling CBD products on Shopify, specifically around finding a Payment provider who will allow sales of CBD products. 

But now I see Shopify is openly advertising a special 'set-up' for people who are selling CBD products, with reliable gateway payments etc.  I've only come across this now, after I have already developed my own store.  So can my store 'link in' with this special set-up?  Can I avail of the authorised payment gateways Shopify now provide?  How do I link my store to this 'offer' as such?  Or do I have these authorised payment methods automatically anyway???  I don't want to have to recreate my site or something....

MorroEcomm_0-1594722319518.png

MorroEcomm_1-1594722362416.png

I hope this makes sense and hopefully someone can help?

Thank you all 

0 Likes
Highlighted
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
441 48 97

Hi @MorroEcomm,

Hyde here from Shopify. Interesting question with a few points to clear up!

First off, Shopify currently only has formal guidelines for selling CBD products in Canada and the United States, so you should bear that in mind when setting up your store. I'm going to list them below, but to get straight to the heart of your question:

The link that we offer CBD customers to sign-up with is this one: https://www.shopify.com/sell/cbd. It's primarily to help us keep track internally of CBD sellers using our platform. From your perspective, all it does is provide all the information you need in a 'home card' on the store admin.

Essentially the home card lists out the same steps available here, so you can simply follow the same process with your current store. In other words, you haven't lost/missed anything by signing up by a different link.

FORMAL GUIDELINES FOR SELLING CBD IN CANADA AND THE US

Canada
CBD in Canada is governed by the same laws as cannabis, and the merchant must have a license to sell.

USA
In September 2019, Shopify implemented a specific process for selling certain hemp-derived CBD products in certain states within the US.

Before selling CBD on Shopify, US-based merchants must carefully review and complete an attestation form in their admin, and select a 3rd party payment provider; they cannot use Shopify Payments.

I hope this all helps, let me know if you have any other questions!

All the best, Hyde.

Hyde | Social Care @ Shopify 
 - Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know! 
 - Was your question answered? Mark it as an Accepted Solution
 - To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Shopify Blog

0 Likes
Highlighted
11 0 0

If you need payment processing for CBD, you can apply through us:

https://payments.cannesis.com/register

We'll get you a great rate and work with Authorize.net which is a supported Shopify gateway.

0 Likes
Highlighted
Shopify Partner
65 5 13
Effective August 2020 - several US states introduces new laws that directly impact all CBD sellers. Regardless of who handles of your payment processing, these new changes affect your CBD business.

• In August 2020 - four states have banned the sale of any form of hemp/cbd products: Idaho, Iowa, Nebraska, and North Dakota.
  • Your shopping cart drop down selection menu must restrict sales of any hemp/cbd products to those states.
  • Additionally, certain states have banned the sale of edibles: Maine, New York, North Carolina, and Ohio.
  • Your shopping cart drop down selection menu must restrict sales of those products to those states.
Kevin James
Expert Web Developer & Shopify Partner
0 Likes