COD Improvements

Highlighted
Tourist
4 0 2

Hi we are a european brand selling to Germany, Italy and Spain. Use of Cash On Delivery (COD) is quite high in Italy and Spain (30%).
There are currently two major flaws with COD in shopify:

1. COD costs us 3EUR per order. Right now there is no way to charge an extra fee for COD, which would be great to pass on the fees and incentives customers to use an alternative method if possible.

2. In Germany, COD rate is at <1%. Right now we can not enable COD per country, only in general and either have to cancel COD orders for Germany or again take the costs as a hit.

2. is sad. 1. is an absolute dealbreaker. I can't be the only one having this issue. In fact I have seen posts from years ago requesting this feature.

Curious to hear a Statement from Shopify regarding this.

0 Likes
Highlighted
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
569 59 109

Hi @Laurents,

Hyde here from Shopify. Great questions!

I completely understand your frustration, given how popular Cash on Delivery has become in certain countries.

When you pick COD as a payment method at checkout, it is activated like a gateway in the system. So it is not possible to enable COD per country as you cannot enable different gateways for different countries or locations. Likewise, you cannot charge shipping fees on any gateway, much less to a Cash on Delivery gateway.

I would suggest that while COD may be popular in Spain or Italy, it is unlikely to be the determining factor in a customer's decision as to whether to purchase from you or not. So you could probably spare yourself a lot of stress by simply deactivating the gateway altogether and focusing on competitive shipping rates, discounts, and product prices. 

I appreciate this may not be what you want to hear, and will certainly pass your feedback on to our developers, but I hope my explanation above goes some way to outlining why it would require complex customization to facilitate this.

All the best, Hyde.

Hyde | Social Care @ Shopify 
 - Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know! 
 - Was your question answered? Mark it as an Accepted Solution
 - To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Shopify Blog

0 Likes
Highlighted
Tourist
4 0 2

Hi Hyde,

thank you for your reply.

I must disagree, COD indeed is a determining factor for a customer's decision. A lot of people will simply not buy if we don't provide this option.

Currently, we have a workaround where we created a shipping rate labeled COD and ask customers to select this. But it's not a great solution.

Anyways, doesn't sound like this will be addressed by shopify anytime soon.

Good to know.

0 Likes