CUSTOMERS CONSTANTLY BEING DOUBLE CHARGED

Joshkiwi1
Tourist
5 0 1

HI Team,

Has anyone had issues with shopify double charging customers? Our average order value is high, and we have had customers be charged twice. One on the day of capture, and then on the next day. We use SHopify payments (Shop pay).

In my orders we have only captured once, yet on customers bank statements it is captured twice. 

One of my customers work for the bank itself  and they have confirmed it is not an issue on their end. Also some of my customers are return clients, and this never happened the first time.

Please Help as need it sorted ASAP

Best regards,

Josh 

screenshot elite charged twice 3.38pm.png111ww1w.png

0 Likes
Don
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
1389 92 190

Hi there @Joshkiwi1!

Don here from Shopify.

Could you share a link to your store with us here so we can check this out for you?

At first glance, these would appear to be authorisation holds, rather than charges themselves; as we can see a 'pending' status on those entries.

If so, this would drop off the customers' accounts after a few days, and funds would not be withdrawn for that hold.

If you share your store link with us here, we can take a look alongside our Billing department to see if we can clarify the situation here for you. 

Regards,

Don

Don | Social Care @ Shopify 
 - Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know! 
 - Was your question answered? Mark it as an Accepted Solution
 - To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Shopify Blog

0 Likes
Joshkiwi1
Tourist
5 0 1

Thanks Don. Please see link here: https://www.elitebathroomware.co.nz/

It is becoming an often occurrence with 1-2 clients a week. However the most recent one was $3495 having double pending payments. 

0 Likes
Don
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
1389 92 190

Hi there @Joshkiwi1!

Don from Shopify once again.

Thanks for that link to your store.

Would you be able to confirm with any of the customers in question whether these entries have dropped off their accounts as authorisation holds, rather than actual charges?

If you can, let us know of any orders where these customers ended up actually paying twice, rather than just seeing a pending hold on their account, and let us know the order number or numbers involved so we can dig into these along with our Billing team.

All the best!

Regards,

Don

0 Likes
Joshkiwi1
Tourist
5 0 1

Hi Don,

Yes they do drop off over a couple of days, however some of our orders are over 5K+ and a double charge of 5K none the less is no fun explaining to a customer who cannot buy anything else for a few days.... Any ideas how to fix?

Every client contacts their bank and the bank blames Us (Shopify). 

Its a forever ending battle, which i think has no solutions, seems to be 6 customers a month on averagre.

Best,

Josh M

0 Likes
Don
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
1389 92 190

Hi again @Joshkiwi1!

Don from Shopify once more.

Thanks for confirming that for us here.

We can take a look at some of the affected orders here, to see what they might have in common.

Could you let us know the order numbers for some of the instances where this has happened, so we can check them out together?

If you can also confirm how payment is processed for these orders (directly paid via credit card gateway, PayPal, or another method) and how they are placed (via the checkout in your store, as a draft order, in-person, etc.) we can use this info to investigate further.

I look forward to hearing from you.

Regards,

Don

0 Likes
Joshkiwi1
Tourist
5 0 1

Hi Don,

Orders 

These are the latest ones currently. All payments are used via shop pay by credit card. No paypal etc.

I hope there is a solution going forwarded! I have asked other merchants is New Zealand, and they have the same issues as well.

Best regards,

Josh M

0 Likes
Don
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
1389 92 190

Hi again @Joshkiwi1!

Thanks for those example order numbers.

I checked in with our Billing team internally and they would like to take a closer look at some examples.

I will be emailing out to the address we have on file for you here shortly, so we can gather a bit more evidence and escalate this internally for you.

Keep an eye out for that email and we can work on this from there.

Regards,

Don

0 Likes
PKGC_Amy
1 0 0

Hi there,

Was just wondering if there was any resolve here? I am about to go live with my new subscription box business and am doing test orders. Both were double-charged (so 4 charges for 2 orders). I understand that they might drop off later but anywhere else I have shopped from online, I have not seen this happen. (I get charge alerts to my phone.) I can't double-charge people my first day open for business. Thank you for any updates! 

0 Likes
Don
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
1389 92 190

Hi there @PKGC_Amy!

We wouldn't be able to discuss account specifics here publicly, but if you can share some info on your situation we can see what we might be able to advise.

If you could share a link to your store first, and let us know the order numbers in question you're referring to, that would be great.

Can you confirm the payment gateway being used for these orders (credit card gateway, PayPal, etc) and, if possible, show us how these charges show up in your bank or card account?

With this info, we can start to investigate here and see what, if anything, we can advise from here.

All the best!

Regards,

Don

0 Likes