Calculated UPS Shipping

8 0 0

How are the UPS rates calculated under "Calculated rates"?  UPS bills by dimensional weight and each product only has a weight attached to it.  I'm selling guitars, so the weight is only 19 lbs, but the dimensional weight and cost to ship UPS is much higher than that of a normal 19 lb package.  Is there somewhere to assign dimensions to products?

Thank you for your help.

-Geoff

0 Likes
Shopify Partner
118 0 16

Shopify only allows for one default package size to be used for calculating dimensional weight, so unless your products are all going to be a similar size, then your will encounter the problem you outlined above. You can learn more about Shopify Shipping here. If you're only selling guitars and they're all a very similar size, then you should be good to go with Shopify Shipping :) 

If you have multiple sizes/types of products (i.e. strings, picks etc.) Our shipping calculation app, Intuitive Shipping may be a good fit for your needs. We not only offer dimensional weight-based shipping, but we also have a 4D boxing algorithm that calculates the appropriate size, weight, and number of boxes for an order for accurate live rates. 

We offer a free 14-day live trial, and an unlimited trial in testing mode so you can take your time getting set up and testing the app. I notice you’re not launched yet, so you can activate your 14-day trial once your store is launched so you get the most out of the trial period. 

Reach out at support@intuitivehsipping.com if you have any questions!

Warm regards,
Sharon  

Co-founder, Intuitive Shipping
0 Likes
8 0 0

Thank you, Sharon.  I'll look into the Intuitive Shipping App.  It's a little bit expensive, but maybe worth it. 

Perhaps I could make the single default package work by using a small box size for the standard box (as used for strings and accessories) and then just indicating that the guitar boxes weigh more than they actually do such that the cost is correct.  

0 Likes
8 0 0

Hello, Sharon,

Can Intuitive Shipping restrict delivery for only certain items to certain countries?  I sell guitars and accessories and guitars that are made of rosewood cannot be shipped outside of the U.S.  So, I'd want to not allow shipments of those particular guitars outside of the U.S., but allow all other products.

Thank you,
Geoff

0 Likes
10 0 0

Hello Geoff,

The advanced shipping manager can offer a solution for accurately calculating shipping for your products.

No more worrying how to quote shipping rates in your store!  Now you can account for product level settings, such as:

- Shipping from multiple dropshippers (multiple origins), and even cover for dropshipping fees

- Dimensional weight products and products that ship alone

- Flat-rate or free shipping promotions for specific products

- Block certain shipping methods for specific products

- Real-Time rates from common US couriers - for domestic and international shipping methods

- Real-Time rates from many freight couriers!

To read reviews from some of our Shopify customers and download the app, please click on: https://apps.shopify.com/advanced-shipping-manager-for-shopify

Let me know if you would like to discuss in further detail.

Burt,

Your Shipping Guru

Ebrowsershop@gmail.com

Customer Success Manager - Shipping Guru
0 Likes
Shopify Partner
118 0 16

Hey Geoff!

Yep, Intuitive Shipping can restrict delivery for only certain items to certain countries.

You’ll want to head to [Products] > click on product you want to restrict > scroll down the page and you will see a radio button for “Do not ship to this zone” beside each of your shipping zones.

We recommend still making a note on your product pages that these items don’t ship outside of the US, and using IS as a “backup” (people tend to not read) so that should a customer from Ireland, for example, add one of these guitars to their cart, no rates will return at checkout for them. 

Let me know if I can be of any other assistance. If you shoot me an email at support@intuitiveshipping.com we can schedule a call or Skype chat if you would like to furhter discuss ways we can optimize your shipping :) 

Best regards,
Sharon

Co-founder, Intuitive Shipping
0 Likes
Tourist
45 0 1

Shopify uses weight to calculate shipping for an order. This provides accurate rates for around 80% of shipping cases. So keeping this option for the general public is the right move. However, orders which are oddly shaped or have a large side, require effective volumetric calculation to give accurate shipping rates from the carrier.

You can use the multi carrier shipping label app to define product dimensions which will be used to calculate volumetric weight of the order and hence fetch accurate shipping rates for it. In addition, the app can be used to restrict delivery for only certain items to certain countries? You can mark the product with a 'Product Type' and enable and disable deliveries by creating automation rules for certain countries.

0 Likes