Calculated at checkout shipping extremely expensive?

Highlighted
2 0 0

Hello, I am opening a new shop soon and am trying to set up all of the shipping things. I am using USPS as my sole shipment company because I live next to one, and its really convienent. Shipping in the USA is only $3.75, which you guys give me a better deal on, but shipping internationally is only $14.00 when i do into my post office and purchase a label online, but when i went to mock check out in an intnernational company it is $22.00 from shopify? Why is the calculaated price extremely expensive for international shipping, and is there anyway to get around it? I'm not so good with the flat rates and calculated has saved me a lot of time.

0 Likes
Highlighted
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
816 50 103

Hi there Madii! 

Don here from Shopify!

Thanks for outlining your query here. :)

It's hard to comment definitively without discussing the specifics of a given account; though something we often see trip merchants up when working with shipping rates is the default package weight set in the admin.

Have a look in your settings > shipping menu and check out the package you have saved there.

By default this weighs 0.4125 lb so can totally throw off a calculation if, in reality, you are using a much lighter box.

This might also account for the difference you see in domestic and international rates there; it would increase a domestic rate a bit but would likely have a much greater effect on international rates.

Check that out, see if you can edit it downwards and if you continue to suspect something is off you can just reach out to us directly so we can access and discuss your account securely.

If you need to contact us, you can email support@shopify.com and quote the ticket number here in this thread so I can use it to take a look.

Best of luck Madii!

Regards,
Don

Don | Social Care @ Shopify
 - Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know! 
 - Was your question answered? Mark it as an Accepted Solution
 - To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Shopify Blog

0 Likes