Calculated shipping price not showing price based on cart weight

Highlighted
3 0 0

Hi,

I have 2 profiles set up using USPS calculated shipping for both US Domestic and "Rest of world."  I am receiving rates back, however the rates are being calculated not on the cart weight, but cumulatively on the shipping charge for both items individually.

So if I have either of these items in the cart on their own

Item A: $21.53 (14oz)
Item B: $14.33 (4oz)

The prices show correctly.  However, when both are in the cart, the price returned is the total of both item's individual shipping cost, $35.86.

Is there some setting that would enable the cart to return a shipping price based on total weight, and not per item?

In the shipping profile setup for calculated shipping, there is nothing that specifies "by item", so I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong.

Thanks!
0 Likes
Highlighted
Shopify Partner
376 39 78

Hi @Band_Member 

You will have to have the products within the same shipping profile in order for it not to accumulate the costs.

Any time you use different shipping profiles for different products, it will calculate separate shipping costs according to profile, and then add the shipping totals from each shipping profile together as a lump sum shipping charge to the customer.

Let me see if I understand your setup...

• You have certain products that only will ship domestically (group A)
  • You have products that can ship both domestically and internationally (group B)
  • A profile is set up for group A with only domestic rates
  • Another profile is set up for group B with both domestic and international rates

?

0 Likes
Highlighted
3 0 0

Hi,

I do have 2 profiles set up - the "general" profile has Domestic US and "rest of world" rates.  In the US Domestic, usps media mail is an option.

In the 2nd profile, "Non media US" I have a US Domestic, usps media mail is not an option.  I've attached all the products to where this rule applies.  I also have a rest of world rate here.

However, I'm being told that Shopify shipping cannot do what I need to do natively, that I need a third party app, as per what you are saying the items are getting added from the different profiles, and Shopify adds up the shipping of each individual item.

The solution I am being told is to use a 3rd party app.  I've reviewed a few, and was told Parcelify is pretty popular. 

Do you have any suggestions of a 3rd party app that would solve my needs?

Thanks!

0 Likes
Highlighted
3 0 0

Hi,

So none of the 3rd shipping apps are worth the price.  And they are way too complicated.  I'm a software developer and I can't figure out how to NOT include an item if it is not eligible for media mail.

If there are any Shopify representatives watching this thread, it would be amazing to just add a checkbox in product's setup that would make a product eligible for media mail, and only show media mail in the USPS shipping options if there are no non-media mail items available.  

It can't be that hard. 

I know for a fact there are a ton of bands and record labels that use Shopify, and we all count on the media mail option for sales.  Shipping price is a deal breaker for a lot of shoppers, and we as artists are losing money on the deal.  We shouldn't have to pay an additional monthly fee for a 3rd party confusing app when it can all be done natively in Shopify.

On my store I do show media mail as an option, and have a note just above the shipping options telling the customer what to do.  But understandably, people ignore it, because the cheapest option is pre-selected for them.

We had an album release today, and in the sales we had this happen to me a number of times, and I'm losing money.  If there is ANYONE that can help me solve the problem, I would be most grateful.

Thanks

0 Likes
Highlighted
Shopify Partner
95 4 19

Hey @Band_Member,

I'm the co-founder of Intuitive Shipping (not sure if you tried us or not), and this is completely doable in the app. I recommend booking a demo with our support team who can guide you through how to configure this within the app. 

As a side note, we have noticed that software developers tend to find most shipping apps "not intuitive" (pun intended). From speaking to them about this, it's because you would have done some things a bit differently and developed the app up with different logic, usually tailored to your specific shipping requirements. Since apps like Intuitive Shipping cater to every type of shipping setup, some things may not "make sense" for your specific setup, but are logical for hundreds of other stores. It's a delicate balance providing a tool that does everything, which is why we offer demos and onboarding support. 

Warm regards,
Sharon 

Co-Founder / CEO @ Intuitive Shipping Inc.
Intuitive Shipping | Smart Boxing | Automate Shipping Profiles

0 Likes