Can I use Shopify payments for my dropshipping store?

Highlighted
4 0 0

I just had my stripe account shut down due to being a Dropshipping store, does Shopify payments allow dropshipping?

0 Likes
Highlighted
Shopify Partner
242 59 122

Hi @ClaudeW,

I am very sorry to hear about your Stripe account. Just so you are aware, payment processors typically consider dropshipping a high-risk business.

The reason is that some dropshipping providers have long shipping times and therefore there is an increased risk of chargebacks.

My understanding is that Shopify Payments does not allow dropshipping. This is despite the fact that many merchants here are doing it anyway.

Check out Shopify Payment Terms of Service. Here are the specific terms:

dropshipping-high-risk-businesses-shopify-payments.png

Here's an alternative list of payment providers that work with Shopify: http://bit.ly/2XyXW3F

I hope this answers your question. Let me know if you need further help!

Brian | Shopify Partner | Ecommerce Consultant
 - Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know! 
 - Was your question answered? Click Accept as Solution  
 - Need further assistance? Visit www.BrianAtWork.com

0 Likes
Highlighted
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
521 34 74

Hi, @ClaudeW!

Sophia here from Shopify. Welcome to the Shopify Community!

Brian is correct that dropshipping can often be considered high-risk by payment processors, but Shopify Payments is often able to support dropshipping stores. Whether you’re eligible for Shopify Payments depends on the location of your business as well as the types of products you’re looking to sell. It’s important that you review both the Shopify Payments requirements here as well as the Shopify Payments Terms of Service before you get started.

What kinds of products are you dropshipping? Let me know if you have any questions about the Shopify Payments requirements, setup, or about dropshipping with your Shopify store :)

Sophia | Social Care @ Shopify
 - Was your question answered? Mark it as an Accepted Solution
 - To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Shopify Blog

Highlighted
1 0 0

In your locations list why India is not available?

0 Likes
Highlighted
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
521 34 74

Hi, @iaent!

Sophia here from Shopify. Welcome to the Shopify Community!

While Shopify Payments isn’t available in India at this time, we do have a list of supported payment gateways for India here. In the meantime, I can submit feedback to the appropriate teams here to let them know you’d like to see Shopify Payments available in India in the future. Please let me know if you have any questions about your payment gateway!

0 Likes
Highlighted
1 0 0
Hi Sophia,

I’m even more confused now. Does Shopify Payment allow dropshipping or not? Even if it is able to support dropshipping stores, what are the chances of my account being frozen due to dropshipping practices? Thanks!

0 Likes
Highlighted
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
521 34 74

Hi, @Coralline!

My apologies for any confusion caused here. As mentioned above in this thread, Shopify Payments can often support dropshipping stores. However, eligibility depends on several factors including whether Shopify Payments is available in your region as well as what types of products you're selling.

You will need to review the Shopify Payments requirements (specifically the Prohibited businesses section for your region) and ensure that your store is in compliance with Shopify's Terms of Service and Acceptable Use Policy.

Your Shopify Payments account would not be put on hold due to dropshipping, but rather could be temporarily held for a standard review or for failure to comply with the TOS or AUP linked here, so it is important to review these documents.

0 Likes