Can we use Shopify Payments? Shop in Germany, customers from Germany AND Austria

Highlighted
2 0 2

Hi there,

I'm new to this community and currently set up our Shopify system. We are based in Germany and are right now considering payment providers. Shopify Payments is available in Germany and it seems to be a nice and easy way to get things going. But this questions is crucial for our decision taking: It says everywhere that Shopify Payments is available in Germany. So of course it will work if we as a German online shop sell products to customers in Germany.

But can we use Shopify Payments (as a German-based shop) to sell products also to Austrian customers as well?

The key question would be: Is "availability" of Shopify payments that is presented everywhere linked to the home country of the online shop (Germany for us where it is available) or does it depend on the customers residence & shipping address?

If it is based in the customers residence & shipping address and will NOT be available for Austrian customers: What happens if we would set up shopify payments as the only payment option and a customer from Austria enters the checkout process. What would the Austrian customer see? Nothing (not checkout option), the Shopify Payments options such as credit cards, etc. which won't worl ultimately, or somethin else?

Any help is appreciated, thanks :-)

0 Likes
Highlighted
Community Moderator
Community Moderator
3062 229 499

Hi @horsti2010,

Nick here from Shopify. Good question! 

You can indeed use Shopify Payments being based in Germany and then sell products to customers in other countries. Shopify Payments is essentially the payment gateway where your customers can pay from anywhere in the world into the account you connect with it. It also eliminates the hassle of setting up a third-party payment provider or merchant account and having to enter the credentials into Shopify. Customers from Austria, the USA or Japan would all see the same checkout on your store and be able to purchase from you if you have it set up to do so. You can choose not to sell to other countries if you wish, but this is something which would be completely up to you. The same concept would apply to all other payment providers. So to answer your question directly, Shopify Payments is linked to you and your home country but it is completely possible to sell worldwide while using Shopify Payments. 

Shopify has some helpful guides on all things Shopify Payments which could be worth your time reading here. If there is anything else or any other questions you have about Shopify Payments, don't hesitate to let me know in a reply here. 

Hope this helps and answers your initial question. 

All the best, Nick

Nick | Community Moderator @ Shopify
 - Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know! 
 - Was your question answered? Mark it as an Accepted Solution
 - To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Shopify Blog

0 Likes