Canada Post shipping labels - switch to USPS tracking

Solved
Highlighted
Shopify Partner
3 0 0

Hey everyone,

When buying Canada Post shipping labels through Shopify, is there a way to automatically:

• Change the shipping provider to USPS when shipping to the United States (when there is tracking)
  • Not put a shipping provider when we buy the cheapest label with no tracking and just mark the order as fulfilled/sent (email notification also sent to customer).

What is currently happening for us is that when we buy a label to the United States with no tracking, it'll fulfill the order with the provider Canada Post.  The customer will click on the order and view tracking information.  They'll be directed to the Canada Post website where there is no tracking.   We get a ton of emails because of this from customers saying the tracking does not work.

0 Likes
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
694 36 96

Hey, there!

If you're based in Canada, then purchasing USPS labels would be restricted as this would only be available for stores based in the United States. That said, from my experience while shopping online, the original courier typically updates their side to reflect the new tracking number once the handoff happens at the border. Have you tested the tracking numbers within USPS system to see if they pull up any information? If not, have you checked to see if Canada Post provides any information that could help guide your customers in finding the updated tracking? As for your second bullet, I'm not quite sure I understand what you're asking, however, if you wanted to follow up with further details, I'd be happy to get that looked into!

-Peter

Peter | Social Care @ Shopify
 - Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know! 
 - Was your question answered? Mark it as an Accepted Solution

To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Shopify Blog

0 Likes
Shopify Partner
3 0 0

Hey Peter!

Thanks for the quick reply.

For my first question:

I'm aware that there is a handoff between Canada Post and USPS when the package crosses the border.  I guess my real question is that Shopify automatically fulfills the order as Canada Post as the shipping provider.  The customer in USA will just see "International item is now in foreign country" in Canada Post.  They will need to use USPS (with the same tracking number) to track their order after this happens.  Most customers will not know to switch from the Canada Post to USPS website for tracking.  Is there a way, when buying a Canada Post shipping label (destined to the USA), to full the order automatically as USPS?

For my second question:
Shipping Labels with no tracking purchased from Canada Post (through Shopify) destined to the United States will automatically fulfill the order as Canada Post and show the customer that there is a tracking number.  When they click on their order and head to the Canada Post website, it will say item not found.  Is there a way to automatically fulfill the order with no shipping provider when there is no tracking number available from Canada Post?

Thanks!

0 Likes

Success.

Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
694 36 96

After having some time to chat with our Shipping team, they did confirm that your first question isn't something we currently offer within the platform, however, I have sent this up as a feature request. Doing this allows our developers to see what features are wanted so they can review what we can introduce in future updates of the platform. That said, you could look into including 17Track which is a Global tracking website in your shipment template. This should allow your customers to paste in their tracking number and pull up the order information. Alternatively, you could also just place a reminder in your shipment email stating that US customers will want to use their tracking number with USPS. 

As for your second question there, that does sound like it might be a bug with the system if that is happening on your orders. Have you had our teams look into this yet? If no, let me know and I can authenticate the account to escalate this issue up for further review. 

-Peter

2 Likes
Shopify Partner
3 0 0

Thanks for following up Peter.

For now, we are manually changing the Shipment provider using the Shopify app from Canada Post to USPS (it seems like on web view/desktop you cannot change the provider).

Thanks for the help!

0 Likes
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
694 36 96

Happy I could help! I've shipped off an email to the email listed on your forums account. If you could follow up there with the information I've requested, we can get the ball rolling on figuring out the root cause of the Canada Post tracking issue you stated in your second question. 

-Peter

0 Likes