Canadians and shipping prices.

Highlighted
1 0 0
Hi, I’m from Canada and I’ve had my Shopify account for 6 months now.
I found that I charge way too much for shipping, and end up having to pay a lot of Monéy to Shopify.
How do I get accurate shipping rates at check out for CANADA shipping rates and US.
When a person from Canada orders and pays for shipping Shopify charges $15 (example) and then when I process the order it’s actually $10 (example)...
How do I get it so the payments are the same??? And I’m not overcharging my customers...
0 Likes
Highlighted
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
653 41 97

Hi @Osaroan

This is Ren from the Shopify support team, thanks for your question. 

I just wanted to start off by saying congratulations on 6 months of running your online store! That's a fantastic milestone to hit.

When it comes to the calculated rates pulled from Canada Post, you'll want to keep in mind that by utilizing their services through Shopify you are actually getting a discount on the purchase of those labels. You can view a detailed chart here with various shipping carriers and example rates based on factors such as the type of shipping selected at check out as well as your specific plan. Further down you'll find comparisons for walk-in rates VS Shopify rates and the percentages saved. 

That being said, there is a way to both mark up or discount these calculated rates by following the steps below:

Steps:

1. From your Shopify admin, go to Settings > Shipping and delivery.

2. Next to the profile that contains the rate, click Manage rates.

3. Next to the rate that you want to adjust, click the ... drop-down menu and then Edit rate.

4. In the Handling fee section, set the rate adjustments.

5. Click Done, then click Save.

You can make these rate adjustments go up or down by adding a value or designating a negative value.  For example, a $5.00 rate with 50% markup and a $1.00 flat fee costs the customer $8.50, not $9.00. If you want to offer discounted shipping, then enter a negative value. For example, -5% or $-2.50.

I hope that helps! If I can clarify any of the above for you, please let me know. 

Now that you've been up and running for 6 months, have you recognized any other pain points or areas where you'd like to further your understanding? If you haven't already, check out our free online courses and workshops over at Shopify Compass to help find areas where you can fine-tune your eccommerce skill sets. All the best! 

Ren | Social team @ Shopify
 - Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know! 
 - Was your question answered? Click Accept as Solution 

0 Likes