Cancelling orders that were never fulfilled or payment captured

Solved
Highlighted
Tourist
5 0 4

Last summer, I had an avalanche of people discover my wholesale-only website and place orders. I never hit the "capture payment" button within the 7 days, so now they are "in limbo"and remain unfulfilled. I never cancelled them up until now because I was hoping to re-capture the sales once we opens our site to the public in late November. I had to create draft orders with the new retail prices and resend the customers an invoice. Some of them figured it out, but not as many as I would have liked.

Either way, I need to clear them out so I can get an accurate count of inventory & sales.I started to do it today and even though it says "unfulfilled", it "restocks" the items (which is annoying unto itself...I will have to re-enter the correct quantities afterwards). However, my bigger issue is that I now have negative $500+ in sales today. Other than it being depressing seeing that, am I totally screwing things up if I cancel these orders? Inventory? Sales for accounting? (i've been making sure a notification is NOT sent to the customer when I cancel).

Any insight would be most appreciated.

0 Likes
Highlighted
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
676 63 88

This is an accepted solution.

Hello, @Mary_Cassidy .

Elias here with Shopify Support. Thank you for this inquiry.

I understand you’re trying to tidy up your orders by cancelling the orders that you didn’t capture payments for last summer. You aren’t screwing anything up by cancelling the orders as the funds are refunded if it wasn’t captured during the authorization period. This will also restock the inventory; nonetheless, the inventory should still be accurate unless there were other changes made before this. That said, the negative sales total is not an issue as it is simply balancing out the oversold sales total for these orders. However, if you need to file taxes, it’s important to let your accountant know of the discrepancies. Should you find yourself in a similar situation, it can be concerning for your customers when their order is taking too long to be fulfilled or that they aren’t getting their refunds sooner so I recommend cancelling the orders as they can always place their order again at a later time. 

I hope this helps clarify the negative balance in the reporting. If you have any other questions on this topic, don’t hesitate to let me know in this thread!

Elias | Social Care @ Shopify 
 - Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know! 
 - Was your question answered? Mark it as an Accepted Solution
 - To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Shopify Blog

Highlighted
Tourist
5 0 4

Thanks Elias, this is exactly what I was hoping for! I will have to brace myself for lower sales numbers :)