Why is the customer's card getting declined on my website?

syfqh95
Tourist
9 0 3

Hi Shopify,

A customer complained to me that he got error message 'card was declined' when he tried to pay the order. So I also tried to test and make payment and my card also declined. How to fix this problem?

Thank you.

store url : https://durianbikers.com

syfqh95_0-1623231545756.png

Replies 5 (5)

June
Shopify Staff
315 86 67

Hi @syfqh95,

June here from Shopify. Thanks for your question! 

I'd love to gather a little more information about what you're seeing here so we can narrow down why you're currently having difficulty accepting orders.

• Is this your first order? If no, when did you last successfully process payment for an order? 
  • What payment gateway(s) do you have active on your store and which one have you and your customer used? 
  • When you visit Orders > Abandoned checkouts, select your order, and view the section Additional details, is there a red payment failure message? 
  • If yes, click on the payment event to expand it. Is there are reason or decline code offered to indicate the cause of the failed transaction?

June | Social Care @ Shopify 
 - Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know! 
 - Was your question answered? Mark it as an Accepted Solution
 - To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Shopify Blog

syfqh95
Tourist
9 0 3

Hi @June ,

1. Is this your first order? If no, when did you last successfully process payment for an order?

Yes this is my first order.

2. What payment gateway(s) do you have active on your store and which one have you and your customer used? 

Shopify payments have activated on my store. The customer used shopify payment.

3. When you visit Orders > Abandoned checkouts, select your order, and view the section Additional details, is there a red payment failure message? 

Yes

4. If yes, click on the payment event to expand it. Is there are reason or decline code offered to indicate the cause of the failed transaction?

Your card has insufficient funds and Your card was declined. The customer tried to use two cards.

syfqh95_0-1623294325158.pngsyfqh95_1-1623294353301.png

June
Shopify Staff
315 86 67

Thanks so much for these details! Very helpful. 

Are both of those screenshots taken from your customer's payment attempts? If so, what decline code are you seeing on your own Abandoned checkout(s)?

For the first attempt, we can see that the card had insufficient funds, which prevented your customer from completing their payment. For the second, the decline code do_not_honor (shown here), does not give us quite as much information. Stripe indicates that in cases where a failed payment returns this particular decline code, your customer will need to contact their bank for clarification. 

13-00-72653-83326

I'm curious to know what reason/ decline code you are seeing on your own payment attempts. 

June | Social Care @ Shopify 
 - Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know! 
 - Was your question answered? Mark it as an Accepted Solution
 - To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Shopify Blog

BHancock
Visitor
1 0 0

Is there a way to see all payments declined without paging through each abandoned cart?  Is there a report option?  We are trying to see how many sales are lost to declined cards.

tamk333
Tourist
6 0 1

did you figure out the solution to this? My customers are getting declined as well and I cannot figure out how to fix It. Losing lots of money Its very frustrating