Carrier Calculated Rates Question

Highlighted
2 0 0

Can anyone shed light on Carrier Calculated Rates (FedEx specifically)?  I have the options I would like selected, but in testing with a variety of different addresses, not all of the carrier calculated rates appear.  For example, I have "FedEx Ground" selected as an option, but can't get that option to appear on the customer's front end.  

Does anyone know how Shopify and/or FedEx determines which specific rate options to show customers?  Thanks in advance!

0 Likes
Highlighted
Shopify Staff (Retired)
Shopify Staff (Retired)
113 0 16

Hello Dennis!

This is Breann from Shopify

When using Carrier Calculated Shipping, the rates are calculated right when the order is placed, and are accurate to that day! 

Fedex has a bunch of different shipping options, as I am sure you know, but your customers will be offered only those rates that match the criteria the carrier decides on , based on:

• the total weight of the order
  • your default shipment dimensions. These are used by your carrier to calculate shipping rates
  • whether or not they enter their Company name at checkout (this can make them eligible for business rates, which are generally lower than residential rates).

Make sure to have each of your product rates accurate to their actual rate so correct rates are given!

If you have any other questions please let me know,

Breann,
Shopify Guru

0 Likes
Highlighted
2 0 0

Thank you Breann.  One other question.  Is there any way to edit markup rates for individual FedEx options, or can you just do one rate change for all the carrier options?

Thanks!

0 Likes
Highlighted
Shopify Partner
4 0 0

Hey Dennis,

Just some extra info here. FedEx shouldn't need dimensions to send rates, just the weight is required and obviously address for destination/origin set.

If you aren't seing Ground it may be because its a residential address and Shopify is qualifying that. For Residential Home Delivery will be shown. Suggest switch that on and take a look to see if it fixes.

Individual surcharges based on rate options is something we cover in our ShipperHQ rating solution as FYI, along with a pretty complete rating solution for the Shopify platform, come take a look!

0 Likes
Highlighted
Shopify Partner
461 7 39

Hello @Dennis_Flynn1 ,

As Breann has already mentioned, the customers will be offered the FedEx shipping services at checkout based on the shipping address, recipient address, package weight, and dimensions.

To get an accurate FedEx Ground or FedEx Home Delivery option at checkout based on the commercial address or residential at checkout you need to use FedEx, Rates, Labels and Tracking app

Regarding the markup rates, The app has an option to adjust it either as a fixed value or as a percentage value for each FedEx service.

Customer Success @ PluginHive
Shipping Automation | FedEx shipping | Multi-carrier shipping | Shipment Tracking | Australia Post shipping
0 Likes
Highlighted
Shopify Partner
555 1 19

In addition to the quality responses provided by many here, i would also like to add that usually Ground should appear in the rates if the packaging node is correctly populated. Knowing Shopify they have an immaculate record of bug free dev, so definitely that should not be an issue. So only remaining option that i can think of is that you would have been getting FedEx Home Delivery and not Ground. If this is what was happening then, it is important to figure out how to characterise the address. As far as i know, if your customer provides company name in the order, then Shopify marks it as commercial address else it is a residential address. Otherwise if you are planning to get your addresses classified in real time, then you need to use the Multi Carrier Shipping label app for this purpose.

Product Owner @ PluginHive
Shipping Automation | FedEx shipping | Multi-carrier shipping | Shipment Tracking | Australia Post shipping
0 Likes