Carrier Calculated and package sizes?

Highlighted
Explorer
170 0 10

So I'm usisng carrier calculated with FedEx and USPS. Most of the time it works well but I primarilty ship large items that are 18-24" L&W and 2-4" thick. The problem my customers are having is when they order say a few paris of socks which are small and could fit into flat rate boxes or what not but the carrier calculated system compounds the cost for eash pair added which gets crazy when you're paying $15 for 4 pairs of sock to ship domestic.

Is this a shipping box sixe issue? I've tried to set those with all available options for biox sizes but I can't find good documentation explain that setup, seems I can't even delete the default ship box either.

Thanks in advance for any help.

0 Likes
Highlighted
Explorer
170 0 10

oh and the shopify docs do mention that if you have a lot of shipping box sizes you should use an app vs setting thr preferance in shopify but I don't see any apps that would help with that issue.

0 Likes
Highlighted
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
127 0 9

Hey there Christopher!

Good questions! You are correct in it being centered around the default box being used. When shipping is being calculated natively, it will display the rate of the default box selected.

Best thing I would suggest would be to check out Boxify. It has some great shipping management features, especially when using various box sizes etc...

It will improve accuracy for your shipping for sure if you have many different packaging options.

That should do the trick for you!

Justin L

0 Likes
Highlighted
Explorer
170 0 10

Thanks Justin. If I don't use something like Boxify, whats the best way to make sure the cheapest box is always what the default is? Also is there a tutorial I missed on setting box sizes?

0 Likes
Highlighted
Shopify Partner
461 7 39

Hello @Christopher_Od1,

Yes, this is a shipping box size issue. As Justin has mentioned here, when shipping is being calculated natively, it will display the rate of the default box selected. 

You can use the FedEx Rates, Labels & Tracking app to solve this issue. The app allows you to configure the product based on the weight as well as the dimensions. Also, you can select the FedEx boxes and also configure custom boxes of your choice. Based on these values, the app will automatically select the boxes and calculate the rates.

Customer Success @ PluginHive
Shipping Automation | FedEx shipping | Multi-carrier shipping | Shipment Tracking | Australia Post shipping
0 Likes
Highlighted
Shopify Partner
555 1 19

The best way to solve this is by using a solution that would calculate the cost of the product based on optimal packing. That means if the product fits into a flat rate box, it should use it. Similarly, if no flat rate boxes are available, then a custom box can be used. All this can be achieved using the Multi Carrier Shipping label app. You can define your own custom boxes and the packing algorithm works in such a way that it selects the best packaging based on the following factors : 

- weight based

- dimensions based(stacking products one on top of another)

- quantity

Product Owner @ PluginHive
Shipping Automation | FedEx shipping | Multi-carrier shipping | Shipment Tracking | Australia Post shipping
0 Likes