Cash On Delivery ? (COD)

Highlighted
Tourist
11 0 2

Hello again!

So I've been trying to figure out how COD works lately. I did read the Manual Payments guide. But i have some questions that I can't seem to find an answer to by searching on google. So I'm dropshipping from aliexpress. Say I enabled the COD option but then what? I really can't understand how I'm supposed to get paid. The order gets shipped customer gets the package. Pays the delivery guy and then....? I just can't get my head around this pardon me if I'm too stupid to understand how this works. But am I supposed to tell the customer how to pay me? For example, tell the customer to send the money to my address or something? I just don't get it. 

Also in the Shopify Manual Payments guide. Something was mentioned about contacting my bank or delivery service to find out exactly what a customer must do to complete the payment. Soo how do I contact e-packet ? Messed up

If someone could enlighten me id be more than grateful.

Thanks for taking the time to read my question!

EDIT: Forgot to mention. I've also seen some posts around talking about customers bypassing the payment. How come? Is that a possibility?

Highlighted
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
1057 62 124

Hi there Angel!

Don here from Shopify. :)

It's actually not generally advisable to use COD for drop shipping due to the risks involved with this type of payment being used for this type of fulfilment.

In order for your goods to be shipped out, they would need to be marked as paid, which given the nature of COD puts you at a massive risk of non-payment after yourself having paid for the goods.

You might want to instead consider selling to a region that more commonly uses card payments than COD if you intend to run a drop shipping store.

We're also available via our support site for support, 24/7. :)

All the best!

Regards,
Don

Don | Social Care @ Shopify
 - Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know! 
 - Was your question answered? Mark it as an Accepted Solution
 - To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Shopify Blog

0 Likes
Highlighted
3 0 0

Hi Angel,

The E-commerce Frauds are now taking a severe turn, and costing the sellers both monetary and inventory losses. Some E-Commerce frauds like Chargebacks, Return To Origin(RTO), Payment Frauds are the top frauds. You can read more about such frauds at - https://goo.gl/ibFWMZ

To avoid them, ThirdWatch, offers e-commerce businesses a smart way to fight fraud. Their AI mechanism Mitra detects any kind of anomalies in the data received and blocks suspicious transactions. Mitra automatically differentiates between genuine and illicit transactions, without the need of maintenance or manual upgrades.

As far as I know, they are working with major E-Commerce companies now and expanding towards Fintech Business.

They offer free 2-month trial period, charging $0, and also integrates with Shopify within 100 minutes. 

I'm using their services. If you want you can reach out to them and discuss further with their representative. Their link - https://goo.gl/4AnxTj

Cheers!

The Young Answer

0 Likes
Highlighted
4 0 0

Hi,

Can we schedule a call to hear your feedback on delivery services?

Nadya

nadyacheln@gmail.com

0 Likes
Highlighted
2 0 0

Hi,

I have the same problem. I'm doing drop shipping via Aliexpress and so many people are interested in my products but most of them are asking about COD. shopify support told me to add pay manual payment method. But am i get paid later on if i do that? besides I'm doing the dropshipping. How is it possible? most people are afraid to pay online especially when the website is new because of the feeling that they never get the products.

this is a big issue and I'm losing so many sale only because of this. 

0 Likes
Highlighted
1 0 0
If you use COD. Your buyer would pay whoever you chose to ship with(Canada Post). Then Canada Post will send you a cheque in the mail.
If you have an account with Canada Post, you can set up electronic funds transfer and they will send you the money that way instead of a cheque. Hope this helps!
0 Likes
Highlighted
2 0 0
No. I didn't understand. I'm doing a dropshipping. How its possible that
the customer pay to the delivery man? and how can I be sure that the
delivery man pays me? besides if I really get paid, how can I set a COD
payment on my dropshipping store? Is it recommendable? or its too much
drama?
0 Likes
Highlighted
Shopify Partner
2 0 0

There's practically no way you can integrate COD with AliExpress because you don't have the full control of the product. The best way is to outsource COD platform that can receive cash on your behalf and process your payments afterwards. 

They'll be in charge of inventory and fulfillment of your orders.  

0 Likes
Highlighted
Shopify Partner
555 1 19

So 'Drop Shipping' in simple terms means "provide (goods) by direct delivery from the manufacturer to the retailer or customer." So the manufacturer will ship them for you. Now, if the manufacturer ships using his FedEx account and the end customer chooses COD as the option. In such a case, once the product reaches to the customer, he will make a payment to FedEx. Then FedEx will pay your manufacturer back via electronic transfer. So at the end of the transaction, your manufacturer has the money. It is up to you to collect this amount from the manufacturer. 

-  If you can trust your manufacturer with amount for all orders, then it is pretty ok to go ahead with this. Otherwise you will be going to spend sleepless nights.

- Divulging your commission to manufacturer may not be the right way to go. 

Product Owner @ PluginHive
Shipping Automation | FedEx shipping | Multi-carrier shipping | Shipment Tracking | Australia Post shipping
Highlighted
1 0 0

Thank you, this clarifies a lot. Besides, have you ever had an experience using the COD payment yourself? Please kindly share your learnings as it will definitely help me and the community.

0 Likes