Cash on Delivery Method

Highlighted
1 0 1

I was wondering how does cash on delivery payment method works on shopify? What is the process and how will I get paid? For example, a customer ordered from me and they chose the cash on delivery method then the item will be delivered to them and how am I supposed to receive the payment?

Highlighted
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
546 64 130

Hey, @russhenson 

Cash on Delivery is considered a manual payment method. This means that the Shopify system will not be used to collect the money from the customer as it's implied that you will be collecting the money externally from the customer.  Cash on delivery is a type of transaction in which the customer makes a payment for a good at the time of delivery. It is you and the customer who decides on an agreed-upon process to transfer the goods/money to one another. 

Cash on Delivery is common when a business is also delivering the order to the customer (in-house delivery person) instead of using a shipping carrier (UPS, USPS, etc). For example, if you run a local flower delivery service and your business has a driver that delivers the orders to the customers, cash on delivery is a viable payment method since your employee can collect the cash in exchange for the flowers.

If you are selling online and using a shipment provider to ship the order to the customer, you run the risk of the customer taking the shipment and not following up on sending you a wire transfer or mailing you a cheque.

If there is anything else I can help you with, please let me know.

Dirk | Social Care @ Shopify 
 - Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know! 
 - Was your question answered? Mark it as an Accepted Solution
 - To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Shopify Blog

0 Likes
Highlighted
Shopify Partner
17 1 5

Hi @russhenson ,

If you decide to go the Cash On Delivery route, you can use Localivery to set your order statuses to Delivered, while also triggering the delivered email notifications built in to Shopify.

The app also lets you organize your Order's view by tagging the fulfilled and delivered orders so you have an overview of what orders have been delivered.

Best,

Tom

0 Likes
Highlighted
1 0 0

Hi! I need some assistance in the operation of my e-shop within the Shopify’s platform. I would like to charge my clients 2€, when they want to pay an order with the option cash on delivery, in addition to the shipping cost. I would be grateful whether you help me make the setting to let it work. Thank you in advance. Have a nice day!

0 Likes