Change Paypal Email Address from the Same Paypal Account

Highlighted
Excursionist
20 0 4

Hi there.
Our paypal account is connected to two separated ecommerce.
To keep things separated we have two different emails in our Paypal account.

Let's say that on first ecommerce we have ecomm1@gmail.com and on the second ecomm2@gmail.com

I would like to connect my second paypal email to shopify, so ecomm2@gmail.com.

However I cannot... this morning:
1) I've removed the connection with the first paypal account (ecomm1@gmail.com)
2) I've logged in again with the new email address (ecomm2@gmail.com) and connected to shopify payments.

But when I go in my shopify paypal settings, I still see the first email address connected and not the new one. The account associated is still ecomm1@gmail.com also if I've logged in with ecomm2@gmail.com.

This is so nosense that I even tried to delete from paypal the ecomm1@gmail.com and login and connect again the ecomm2@gmail.com .. and for some reason on shopify it still shows up the email ecomm1@gmail.com that should even not exist at this point.

What can i do ? I want ecomm2@gmail.com to be connected with our shopify store and keep ecomm1@gmail.com connected to the other store to keep accountancy separated. 

0 Likes
Highlighted
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
678 50 152

Hi, @Emilstyle!

Julie here from Shopify Support.

You should definitely be able to use two separate PayPal accounts on two separate stores. By default, all stores are set up with a PayPal account that's associated with the account owner's email address.

To change the account that's associated with your PayPal Express payment gateway, you should simply be able to select the Deactivate option in the PayPal section of your Payments settings. Once deactivated, you can then reactivate PayPal using the desired email address. Based on your post, it sounds like these are the steps you've already taken.

If you aren't receiving any error messages and the account keeps reverting to your Shopify account owner's email address, then this sounds like a technical issue and there are a few troubleshooting steps we can take:

1. If you aren't already using Google Chrome, we recommend that you do so. 
  2. Open a Chrome incognito window, from File > New Incognito Window in the menu.
  3. In that window, log in to the PayPal business account on PayPal.com.
  4. In a new tab in the same incognito window, log in to Shopify.
  5. Try to connect PayPal again using this guide.

If it fails again, it would be helpful to view a screen recording of the issue. Let me know how that goes!

Julie | Social Care @ Shopify
 - Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know! 
 - Was your question answered? Click Accept as Solution 

0 Likes
Highlighted
Excursionist
20 0 4

Hi Julie, Yes the probem that those 2 emails are in the same paypal account. Those are not 2 separated paypal account.
The account is one with two different emails in it. I've tried what you suggested and yes I do use chrome, however it keeps using the first mail and doesn't add the second one, also if I login using the second email. 

0 Likes
Highlighted
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
678 50 152

Thanks for the speedy response, and for clarifying! 

Does your PayPal account have a primary email address? If so, is this primary email address the one that the PayPal Express gateway keeps reverting back to? If that's the case, then it's very likely that PayPal requires you to activate your PayPal Express gateway using your primary email address. The PayPal Support team may be able to shed light on whether this is the case. 

0 Likes
Highlighted
Excursionist
20 0 4

Well, it does. But I changed the primary email address to my second email to try to connect that on shopify, however also if I set up my second email address as primary in paypal, it keeps reverting back on the first. I will ask Paypal, maybe is a setup somewhere in Paypal express as you say. Thank you 

0 Likes
Highlighted
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
678 50 152

No problem, @Emilstyle.

Keep me updated on what PayPal says. If they do not require you to connect using only the primary email address, then this may be an issue that our technical support team can look into. 

Looking forward to your update!

0 Likes
Highlighted
Excursionist
20 0 4

I just want to upload that after doing it from incognito mode and setting the email address I wanted as main one in paypal it worked ! Now the right one is connected :) Thank you !