Change a cash on delivery/manual payments order into a draft order to allow card payment

Solved
Highlighted
Tourist
6 0 1

I am in the process of setting up a new store. We plan to use Shopify Payments. We sell to nurseries/preschools as well as individuals. Therefore we want to allow customers to request payment by invoice (i.e. a manual payment method) in addition to normal card payment.

With this route, the customer pays nothing when they place their order, and then we make the decision whether to allow them to pay by invoice or not.

If the customer is accepted for payment by invoice, the order is immediately fulfilled, and payment is taken from the customer within 30 days - this payment takes place offline. We have no problems with this.

If the customer isn’t accepted for payment by invoice, we need them to pay by card (through Shopify Payments) before we ship the order.

In effect, what we are trying to achieve is changing a manual payment order into a draft order so that payment can be taken - either (a) take the card details over the phone and key them in to Shopify or (b) trigger an email invoice with a ‘complete your order’ link. Is there any way to do this other than duplicating the order, and deleting the original?

0 Likes

Success.

Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
1612 68 186

Hi @Matthew_Harper1,

Nick here from Shopify. Really good question!

First of all, I want to say great work so far on figuring out what you have. Figuring out the workflows for your business can be difficult but once you have it figured out, it is a huge achievement and relief.

Regarding your question, I looked into this and it's not possible to change a manual payment order into a draft order directly, you would have to create a duplicate draft order and delete the original to receive payment. The reason being is that the first order where the customer pays nothing would be final, closed and archived. Once an order has been completed, you would be unable to re-open it so to say. It did get me thinking of a potential workaround for you on this though. I was wondering would a partial payment system work for you here? There are some partial payment apps on the Shopify App Store which do essentially, as it's titled, let your customers pay in several different parts and not all at once. I was thinking you could make the first payment very cheap, for example, $1 or £1 etc. and then the second payment could be the rest of the order which they owe. This would prevent any hassle or inconvenience in having to delete the order and then create a new draft order. You can see a couple of the partial payment apps from the app store below:

Hopefully, this workaround will work for you. 

All the best, Nick

Nick | Social Care @ Shopify
 - Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know! 
 - Was your question answered? Mark it as an Accepted Solution
 - To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Shopify Blog

0 Likes
Tourist
6 0 1

Hi Nick

Thanks for your response. It sounds like the simplest option would be to duplicate the order to create a new draft, as you suggest.

Your idea about using a partial payments app is interesting. However I suspect that it may not be right for us, because the key thing for us is that after a customer places an order, we want our store staff to be able to choose whether to allow the customer to continue with the manual payments/cash on delivery route or change it to a card payment being required. But I will certainly take a look into it.

Thanks

Matt

1 Like
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
1612 68 186

Hi Matt,

Ah ok, yes I see what you mean. If you go down the route of the app it could eliminate the possibility of the manual payments/ cash on delivery option. You could always refund the customer the initial $1/ £1 etc, cancel the order and then continue with manual payments/ cash on delivery or keep going with the partial payments side of things with the partial payments app. It would still result in a refund/ cancelled order then though. It's definitely something to think about and look into. 🙂

Hope this helps!

All the best, Nick

Nick | Social Care @ Shopify
 - Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know! 
 - Was your question answered? Mark it as an Accepted Solution
 - To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Shopify Blog

0 Likes