Change display titles of carrier-calculated shipping methods in check-out

Jesse10
Tourist
23 0 2

Hello!

My name is Jesse, and my online shop address is shop.pistilsnursery.com.

Many of the items that we sell are made to order, and since we're a small business, we have a processing time of up to 7 days. All of this is spelled out in the product descriptions, our shop FAQ and in our transactional emails, but we're running into an issue where customers consistently think that the shipping speeds generated at checkout from carrier-calculated shipping relates to when their box will be delivered.

We ship USPS, and after a customer enters their shipping address, the shipping rates are displayed as USPS 1-day, 2-day or 3-day Priority depending on where theyre located. This leads to some customers thinking they'll be getting their packages delivered the very next day, as if they'd been overnighted, even though it's just a standard Priority mail shipment. This is causing our customers to be disappointed when their packages take longer, and it's a hassle for us because it leads to a lot of customer service time.

Is there any way to change the display name of the USPS generated rates to just "USPS Priority" or "Standard Shipping"? I know that when you create custom rates in shopify, they can be called anything you'd like. Can the USPS rates be customized in any way? 

If not, has anyone experienced this issue, and what was your solution? Should we just abandon carrier-calculated rates altogether?

Thanks very much in advance,

Jesse

0 Likes
Anne_M
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
498 1 59

Hi Jesse,

Thanks for posting! I have had a think, and hopefully one of these solutions might help!

It isn't possible to change the carrier calculated titles, however you can switch on/ off the rates so that they only show what you offer!

So USPS standard might be the most suitable perhaps?

You could check in with these special shipping apps to see if they can help you create custom shipping titles- Better shipping ( https://apps.shopify.com/better-shipping ) and Bespoke Shipping (https://apps.shopify.com/custom-shipping-rates)

As a completely different alternative, instead of looking at the shipping rates, there is a doc on how to replace the add to cart button with an email link or contact form for any special custom made products that may be may to order- https://docs.shopify.com/manual/configuration/store-customization/communicating-with-customers/provi...

With that, you'd be able to create draft orders for your customers from your admin, and send them a checkout to make the payment, with all the information given in advance- https://docs.shopify.com/manual/your-store/orders/create-orders

That way, you wouldn't need to change your UPSP rates at all!

I hope this helps!

Anne :)

0 Likes
Jesse10
Tourist
23 0 2

Hey Anne,

Thanks for your thoughtful reply and all these ideas!

Regarding unchecking shipping rates, this seems like it could work! What concerns me, though, is that I think Standard Shipping is only for boxes under 16oz (http://pe.usps.com/businessmail101/classes/standard.htm). Since many of our items are over that weight, would the checkout not be able to generate accurate shipping rates for these products?

What do you think would happen if I unchecked USPS 1 and 2 day priority, and just left 3-day. If someone who lives in a 1-day zone attempts to check out, will they still see the 3-day option? This might do the trick, since they won't think they're paying to get something overnighted.

I'll definitely check out those apps your reccomended and read up on that support doc to see if that might be a good solution for us. Thanks for the info!

Jesse

0 Likes
Anne_M
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
498 1 59

Hi Jesse!

You're welcome, and Happy New Year!

What I would recommend is trying out each of these shipping rates for testing purposes, and do an order as far as the shipping section of the checkout to see what rates are generated for each use-case you mentioned! I would love to test this for you, however I am in Ireland and don't have a USPS account! 

If I saw 3 day personally, I would think it meant 3 working days and expect a longer timeframe for sure!

I hope this helps!

Anne :)

0 Likes
Donald_Bistrow
6 0 0

I'm seeing "USPS Standard Post" in the list above. However, I don't see this as an option within my shipping interface.

This is causing a real headache and holding up my launch. One app group told me they offer these options but they won't appear at checkout to the customer so what good is it?

I've read thread after thread in the forums concerning Shopify's lack of attention to offering multiple options under USPS and I shared 21 emails with support before the final conclusion was:

"Sorry that I don't have a better alternative for you at the moment, reach out with what USPS says so that we can get this sorted out for you!"

USPS is not going to help me with a 3rd party site. And if an app won't show shipping options at checkout it's no good. How does a customer choose? If Shopify support believes reaching out to USPS is the solution then why haven't they done this? As I said, the forums are loaded with frustration concerning the Shopify shipping interface and I read as far back as 2010 forward.

I need Standard Economy Post, Parcel Select, Media Mail, and Regional A,B,C options. Also, I need specific options on one particular category. We sell Vintage Greeting Cards in lots. Some customers wish to buy multiple lots and we would like to provide "combined shipping" where they would only pay shipping on the first lot, the rest free. This is specific to that one category only. I'm sending out an S.O.S. or I'll be forced onto another venue.

Customers need and want seamless checkout or they leave the cart. Unless shipping via USPS offers all shipping alternatives it's useless.

0 Likes
John_O
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
143 0 19

Hello Donald,

Thanks for your post. 

The shipping options we receive from USPS is direct from the carrier so we have no way of controlling what types of options are being retrieved. It may be that some regions only offer certain shipping options, hence why there was a difference between your business and the other merchant above. 

If you wanted to have additional shipping options, such as combined shipping or any other customized shipping, using an app would help you with your shipping solutions. Here are a the top three ones you can consider:

Check those out. 

Please let me know if you have any other questions.

Cheers,

John

0 Likes
tetrashop
2 0 3

I am having this same problem and there's a simple fix: Shopify should offer an option to turn off that shipping transit time and keep it from displaying, and even better, to edit the title of the shipping rate. It's absolutely absurd to force us to show a 2 day shipping transit time to a customer when the transit time is going to be 4 days with processing, especially since we can't alter the cart at all to display that processing time. Shopify, you can do better here!

jjdev
1 0 0

I really want a way to turn off shipping transit time or edit the title of the shipping rate. We get so many calls from customers saying, "My package wasn't delivered on time." Due to COVID shipping times have even been slower than normal and the estimates on the site are totally inaccurate sometimes. Shopify, can you please add an option to change the name of 3rd party carrier calculated rates!

0 Likes