Change shipping options for a variant (pickup, delivery)

Highlighted
Tourist
8 0 2

I need to change shipping options for variants. I own a plant store & plants are organized by variety with size variants. I can ship small plants but I cannot ship a plant in a 12 gallon pot. If people pick this product, they need to be given a pickup or delivery option only. (I can put in the description text that the 12 gallon plant can't be shipped.)

At the least, I need a clever workaround. I have only used Shopify for 5 days so I don't know much. Not knowing even basics makes it impossible for me to come up with my own solution. It also means I need clear, step-by-step instructions because I don't know where everything is.

Thank you

0 Likes
Highlighted
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
663 51 116

Hello, @JLSGLG!

Karlie here from the Shopify Guru Team! It sounds like you may need an app so that you can customize your shipping rates according to product and product variant. There are a few different app options that I have in mind that could work for you. 

Be sure to look into these apps;

I hope this has answered your question. If not, or if you have any further questions please let me know. I will be happy to help!

*Karlie* | Social Care @ Shopify
 - Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know! 
 - Was your question answered? Mark it as an Accepted Solution
 - To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Shopify Blog

0 Likes
Highlighted
Tourist
8 0 2

I appreciate the quick response but at this point, to do all the things I need to do across all of my products, I have to purchase 4 or 5 apps. That is simply not going to happen. I believe Shopify already has a very high base subscription rate. It assumes you sell online & you only sell online, so the monthly fee is like rent. But I own a brick & mortar. Online sales will probably be 5% of my monthly sales. I simply cannot spend another $50-$75/month on apps when some of the features I need are extremely basic. (Like a "note" box on each product page for customization details, like an engraved message. Or one inventory count for a product, & not for each variant, due to customization.) I need a different solution such as code. Where can I get that?

0 Likes
Highlighted
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
663 51 116

Hey, @JLSGLG!

Karlie here again! Okay, so let's look into some free app options for you. I don't have customized coding that would enable the features you need - but there may be a developer who sees this post and can reply with some options. 

Okay, so if you're looking for a note box on each product page for the customer to enter in additional details, then you have a couple of options. You could check out these app options that have free plans available; Customify - Product Customizer, Best Custom Product Options, or Advanced Product Options which would all provide you with the functionality to add custom notes to your product pages. Or you can also look into our Shopify guide that will show you how to enable customer notes on the cart page of your storefront, if you are interested in that option you can follow our guide, here

I've been thinking about your first query regarding shipping. What you could simply do is create manual shipping options for those large products that require pickup. You can do this by setting up a weight based shipping rate for those larger products. A weight based rate would allow you create a rule that over a certain order weight, the customer would be required to choose a 'Pickup' option for their rate. When setting up your shipping profiles, you would want to take a read through this guide. When setting up your weight based rates, you can follow this guide

You had mentioned having one inventory count for a product - can you clarify exactly what you need for that feature? I'm not quite sure I understand. 

0 Likes
Highlighted
1 0 0

I also have a plant shop and I was having the same issue as @JLSGLG . I followed @Karlie  suggestion for creating a weight based shipping rate and it works! 

Thanks Karlie!

0 Likes
Highlighted
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
663 51 116

Hey, @cgbarnes!

That's great news! So glad that it worked out for you. 

0 Likes