Change shop currency and checkout currency.

Highlighted
1 0 0

Apologies if this has been asked and answered before, but I am based in the EU so my shop and checkout is in Euros, however i'm selling in America so I need customers to see my store and checkout in Dollars for the obvious reasons. I have a currency selector drop down but I'd prefer if there was a way to change this for good without the need of an app, and the checkout still changes back to Euros. Any way to change this?

Thanks in advance!

0 Likes
Highlighted
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
259 3 66

Hi, Evan!

Lisa here from Shopify Support. 

At this time, from the Shopify admin, the currency at checkout can only be set to one currency at all times, and not interchangeable based on where your customers are. 

However, the good news is, there are third-party apps which some stores are using that allow multi-currency checkout. The developers at MLveda have made a Multi-Currency Checkout App for Shopify that allows your customers to Checkout in more than 125 currencies based on where they're checking out from. See more information about their app here.

Hope this helps!

- Lisa ?

Lisa | Social Care @ Shopify
 - Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know! 
 - Was your question answered? Mark it as an Accepted Solution
 - To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Shopify Blog

1 Like
Highlighted
Shopify Expert
39 0 8

Not sure if this is still needed, but stumbled across this post. We have a multi-currency app for Shopify as well that will actually bill (charge) the customers in all the different currencies as well. https://apps.shopify.com/multi-currency

You can choose to only display the currency conversions but always charge in your base currency, OR you can actually bill in as many different currencies as you like too in the checkout. 

Hope that helps ?

Co-Founder of Bold Commerce, and eCommerce store owner since 1998!
1 Like
Highlighted
1 0 3

I too find it hard to comprehend that Shopify doesn't provide a multi currency checkout. We sell digital products all over the world and desperately need this!  I'm not convinced that Shopify is committed to providing this. But how difficult can it be?!!! Especially as their payment gateway is Stripe and Stripe accepts multiple currencies :-/

Multiple stores are not really an option for us because of the extra management overhead. We also want just one URL. Shopify Plus is not an option because of the huge hike in costs and we simply don't need that kind of heavyweight solution. We simply want to let our customers pay in their local currency. It really isn't much to ask is it!!?

We have explored the possibility of using Bold Cashier but that's not suitable for us as it doesn't handle EU Taxes according to EU rules and isn't compatible with other apps that can handle these taxes.

A self hosted self developed solution is not an option for us as we don't have the time.

I'm really disappointed to reach the conclusion that we will have to ditch Shopify.

What e-commerce platforms are others using? Does anyone have any particular recommendations? We want something that works out of the box if possible.

Thanks!

3 Likes
Highlighted
Shopify Partner
4 0 0

Hi Sally. Can you please send me an email to ilia.hristov@yahoo.com regarding the platform

0 Likes
Highlighted
1 0 0

Would like to run a shop in a minimum of four currencies and also the checkout should occur in one of these.

In the themes editor I already had a bad feeling if at all it would work. Products without a possibility to have different currencies seemed also strange.

Summing up features on your home page should also show restrictions of your plattform!!! It can not be that to know the features someone has to read the issues.

Automatic conversion for whole currencies is not so interested as found here (we want to show rounded amounts, products sold cost above 70 EUR): https://help.shopify.com/themes/customization/currencies/show-multiple-currencies

I looked at MLveda, but paying for another service and applying for a Stripe account will also have its hurdles and Stripe does not support Paypal.

@Shopify, are there any multi-currency paying options coming in the near future?

@others, what other possibilities did you look into (maybe even non Shopify ones).

0 Likes
Highlighted
1 0 0

What's been the feedback on the MLVEDA multi currency check out app - is it any good? 

I used the currency converter they did but had to ditch is as it didnt integrate with a facebook store or intragram shopping - it messed up all the prices. Will the MLVEDA multi currency check out app create the same problems? 

Thanks, 

Pete

0 Likes
Highlighted
Shopify Partner
3 0 0

Such a complication.  Bad that the chechout is so limited.  Shopify should rectify this as it is such a basic feature of a store.  show any local currency while charging in the store currency.  

That said, Bold Cash is definitely the option I´d use... lower pricing which is key with same features.  

0 Likes
Highlighted
1 0 2

Hey Jay, I can't find an option to let bill in a different currency through Bold Multi-currency. The customers see the prices in their local currencies in the product page and the home page, but it switches back to the store's base/default currency when they try to checkout. I would want my customers to be able to checkout in their local currency.

Would I need to install Bold Cashier for that?

2 Likes
Highlighted
1 0 0

Did you find the solution ?

0 Likes