Changing Paypal to use different account

Highlighted
5 0 0

Hi there;

I've seen this partially answered in other posts, but need to clarify. We're sellling our store and I need to switch our Paypal Express account to the new owner's account (also Paypal Express). Another post says to do the following:

- In payments, click Edit on the Paypal screen and then click Deactivate: 

- Select Paypal Express again from the drop down menu. Then click Activate.

- This will take you to Paypal's page where you will need to sign in to the account you want your shop attached to and give 3rd party permissions to Shopify. 

- That will then take you back to Shopify, and that's it! You're all set :)

-----

It all sounds easy, but that description is in answer to someone changing from the default shopify paypal account that gets auto-added when you setup your store. I saw elsewhere that it may not be so simple if you've already taken payments on your existing account. Is it really that straightforward? No money will need to be transferred between paypal accounts, it's just a straight switch. I just want to make sure there's no hiccups when I do the transfer as it will need to happen at a particular time.

Thanks!

0 Likes
Highlighted
Shopify Staff (Retired)
Shopify Staff (Retired)
132 0 23

Hey there Rory!

Genevieve from Shopify here :) 

The instructions above are exactly right. When you deactivate the PayPal Express gateway, the existing PalPal account is disconnected. So when you activate the gateway again you're starting afresh, and can choose any PayPal account to connect. 

Hope that helps! 

Genevieve S.

0 Likes
Highlighted
2 0 0

Hello, how about if ive set up a non existent paypal account(or maybe it exist) on my shopify. I typo the email address of my paypal account. The money was floating in shopify, or maybe its get into the typo account. So should i do the same same as above to change account.

0 Likes