Changing Store Currency

Highlighted
1 0 0

Hello,

I am based in the UK and my store currency is in GBP. However, I think it would be more practical to change the default currency to USD considering that I sell internationally and there is a lot of uncertainity with GBP at the moment due to Brexit which makes paying my suppliers more expensive.

I've seen that to change the store currency to USD you would need a US bank account. Would it be sufficient to have a USD account with a british bank or does it have to be a bank from the country who's currency you wish to bill in?

Thanks

0 Likes
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
455 6 30

Hi, Clark. 

This is Max from the Shopify Team. 

You'd want to have a compatible bank account in USD. This could be from where you live or elsewhere as long as it concides with the specifications of your payment processor. For example, Shopify Payments requires an account that only works in one currency and is set up to receive deposits (for the UK this must be a GBP bank account located in the United Kingdom).

If you've already been making sales in GBP, you'll need to reach out to support to make this change. As changing your store currency will impact a few things mainly the accuracy of your historic reports, product pricing and some apps might need to be reconfigured! Feel free to email us if you need some more details specific to your account or want to make that change. 

Cheers, 
Max
support@shopify.com

Max | Social Care @ Shopify
 - Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know! 
 - Was your question answered? Mark it as an Accepted Solution
 - To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Shopify Blog

0 Likes