Cal here from Shopify, thanks for reaching out to us. How are you today?
I'd be happy to look into this with you. Have you already made a sale on the store? If so, we will need to assist with the currency change.
This feature is locked in the admin if you have already made sales, even a test order. The reason for this is so you can reach out to our support team and chat with us about the effects this will have on your business if you were to change currencies after sales have been made.
- Reporting: With changing between currencies, our reporting doesn't factor in the difference between currencies. So if you had €500 processed, that would show as €500 in reports. Say the next day, you switch to USD, the report would still read as €500 for previous processing. Since €1 is not equal to $1USD, the reports, in theory, will be wrong going forward.
- Product Pricing: Since the dollar amount between currencies is not the same, a product price’s value, could mean something different if the currency is adjusted and impact your margins. For example - €20, is not equal to $20 USD. Refunds processed after a currency change will also be affected by the currency change.
You will have to manually reprice all of your products.
- Apps: Some apps may have limitations when it comes to changing the selling currency. If you would like to know how changing the selling currency will affect your apps, you will need to reach out to the App partner to clarify before changing their selling currency.
Let me know if you still want to go ahead with the currency switch, and please share your MyShopify URL with me here!
Can you share your store URL here, so I can email the account owner directly with more information about the currency switch? Alternatively, you could contact our live support here, and they'd be happy to assist with the currency switch.
Hi @Alxxcheng, can you double-check your MyShopify URL for me, as I can't seem to locate a store for 'donnieye.shopify.com'. Thanks!
Hi @Alxxcheng. I've just emailed the account owner for the store with more information. I'm awaiting their response now.