Changing the fulfillment location to a fulfillment service

2 0 0

I attended the Shopify Unite fulfillment session this year and one of the questions referenced the ability to change the “location” of a fulfillment to a third party fulfillment service. The Shopify team said that functionality was in the works for late 2019/early 2020, has there been any update on when that might be becoming available?

0 Likes
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
105 21 8

Hello, @Craig_B

Elias here with Shopify Support. That is a great question.

This feature is available to all merchants now, simply upgrade your shipping to the shipping profiles and add your third-party fulfillment service. Third-party fulfillment can be a custom fulfilment service or fulfillment by Amazon

After that, you can enable multiple locations and begin assigning inventory to locations. Once that’s done, go back to the shipping profiles and set up your shipping rates for each location. If you have vastly different rates between products, you can consider using the combined rates at checkout

Is this the feature you were looking for?

Elias | Social Care @ Shopify 
 - Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know! 
 - Was your question answered? Mark it as an Accepted Solution
 - To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Shopify Blog

0 Likes
Highlighted
2 0 0

Hi @Elias,

Thanks for the reply. I'm not certain if we're talking about the same functionality. I'm looking for the feature where, after an order is placed, you can change an individual item (or items) in that order to be fulfilled from a different service. For instance, we have Widget A that we sell in our brick and mortar store, but we can also dropship from the distributor we purchase Widget A from. When it makes more sense for me to fulfill the item from my dropshipper, like if I have limited inventory in my store, I want to switch to fulfill through my distributor's custom fulfillment service that is installed in my Shopify store rather than fulfilling it directly from my store. Does that make sense?

Thanks,

Craig

0 Likes
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
105 21 8

Hey, @Craig_B.

Thank you for following up. Yes, we’re talking about the same functionality. However, this setup involves setting up several different aspects so I wanted to make sure you had all the information on hand. First you need to set up the locations and assign the inventory to them. After that, you can adjust the location when you fulfill the orders

The custom fulfillment that I mentioned previously is for setting up the email notifications that gets sent to your distributor when one of their products are processed in an order. This notification can be set up for each product. 

I hope this helps clarify the functionality you’re looking for. If you have any further questions regarding multiple location fulfillment, feel free to let me know.

Elias | Social Care @ Shopify 
 - Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know! 
 - Was your question answered? Mark it as an Accepted Solution
 - To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Shopify Blog

0 Likes