Changing the order of options in the Shipping Charge list

Highlighted
3 0 1

Hi there,

My site offers free pick-up in store from our website.  As it is a custom option, it appears ahead of the integrated Canada Post option we use for our shipping.  We are finding for whatever reason, people seem to be missing the shipping option when completing our check out.  What this results in is the option "In-store pick-up" being selected for people thousands of kilometres away.  I then need to contact them and ask them how they wanted it shipped and then cancel the order and reorder it using the correct shipping method.  Bit of a pain and I've lost a couple orders because of it.  

What we think might help is if the In-store option was dropped to the bottom and Standard Shipping made the first on the list or *Select Shipping* was made the default.  Neither of these appear to be doable from what I've been able to figure out.  I've looked at both my theme and my settings but no joy.  Any ideas?

Highlighted
Excursionist
89 0 6

Hi Sean, the shipping methods dropdown is hardwired to display shipping options in ascending order of cost. However, there are a couple of things you can do via quick programming that I can explain off line (how a US based store has creatively tackled this very same issue), but no matter what, keep in mind that Shopify will always display the cheapest option first.

shippingwiz@gmail.com
0 Likes
Highlighted
Tourist
10 0 4

I have tried all possible work arounds to make this work and NOTHING has worked. I have made discount codes for pick up, I have integrated a big stop sign indicating that people need to chose a shipping method but still this is an issue. We do a high volume of business and 10% of all orders still come in with pick up chosen by accident or people not paying attention. So I have to stop what I am doing and call a person in California and see if he really wants to pick up an item in Raleigh NC and then I have to collect payment from him for shipping because we can't modify orders with Shopify either. If I had know all of this I would not have gone with the Shopify platform for our store.

Highlighted
3 0 1

The good news to this @ruthearn is that shortly after I posted this, Shopify got ahold of me and they are working on a pretty slick fix.  We just have to hold on for a little bit longer.

0 Likes
Highlighted
Shopify Expert
9 0 2

Would be good to know when this is done! Any news Shopify??

Highlighted
1 0 0

Ooooooh, and I thought it was just my customers who were blind and didn't see the shipping option, or were trying to get free shipping by not selecting to pay for it! Why not just provide a drop down list for paid shipping option and display a separate tick box for free pick up? That way both are more visible and customers actually have to make a choice before checking out. Can't wait for a fix for this!

0 Likes
Highlighted
7 0 0

I am going through this right now. A local customer wants to pick it up. He didn't want to place an order through the site and good thing too. I thought I was clever by putting a shipping option named "pick up" I set it to cover all weights. Little did I know that if anyone in Manitoba placed an order online, they would only have been able to "Pick-up". Perhaps i lost customers from this(I doubt it, I'm a very new business), or I would've had to call them and see if they might pretty please pay the shipping, or eat the cost myself.  

I think Shopify's app options that may or may not make these things easier, but have to be paid for on a monthly basis are the dumbest biggest rip off I've seen.

0 Likes
Highlighted
1 0 0

I vote for this feature.  In-store pickup is impossible at this point as customers always skip right past the shipping method, regardless of their location. 

0 Likes
Highlighted
Excursionist
20 0 43

I read elsewhere somewhere about having radio buttons on checkout page that place invisible products into cart. The products have ridiculous weights that trigger certain delivery options being shown. So if someone selects the In-Store Pickup radio button, a 1000kg items gets added to cart which then only shows the 'In-store' deleivery optin on the checkout page. 

I can't find the post though, and doesn't resolve the fact that a shipping address will still be required on the checkout page but the text can be re-worded using translations feature in shopify to say somehting like: 'Shipping Address (Or Personal Details if opting for In-Store Pickup)'

This has been ongoing for years, Shopify obviously don't care about this so we're haveing to find convoluted hacks to make something as simple as in-store pickup to work.

This may not been an issue for most shops a few years ago when I posted my original concern but we live in a multi-channel world now and Click & Collect is big, especially in th UK. Argos, John Lewis, Waitrose all have elegant solutions, come on Shopify, get with the times dammit!! Causing us grief for years :((

0 Likes
Highlighted
5 0 0

Hi Sean Goble,

We are having the same problem..Did Shopify fixed this issue for you?

0 Likes