Chargeback Question

Highlighted
2 0 0

I am in the process of setting up my new store. I did a few credit card tests as taught in the Shopify help section using a made up name. All tests completed successfully. A few days later, I received an email stating:-

A chargeback response for order #1002 was submitted to the customer’s bank.

We will let you know when the bank reaches a decision about this chargeback. This process can take up to 75 days.

Chargeback summary for order #1002

Customer: Tanya Raynor

Reason fraudulent

Chargeback amount $26.94

Chargeback fee $15.00

Total $41.94

I have not completed setting up my store yet and have not even select a monthly Shopify plan so why am I getting a chargeback email for a fake name and using a test credit card number that Shopify supplies?

0 Likes
Highlighted
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
1649 99 357

Hey there!

Peter here from Shopify Support!

When you put Shopify Payments into test mode and depending on the credit card number used it can simulate a fake chargeback case to give you an idea on what this process is so you're prepared for it if it should ever happen. Here's the section in our "Testing Shopify Payments" document that outlines what each credit card number does: 

Simulate failed transactions

If you want to see the credit card error messages that might be displayed to a customer during checkout, then you can use these test credit card numbers to simulate different failed transactions:

• Use credit card number 4000000000000002 to generate a card declined message.
  • Use credit card number 4242424242424241 to generate an incorrect number message.
  • Use credit card number 4000000000000259 to simulate a disputed transaction.
  • Use an invalid expiry month, for example 13, to generate an invalid expiry month message.
  • Use an expiry year in the past to generate an invalid expiry year message.
  • Use a two-digit CVV number to generate an invalid CVV message.

Without looking at the store and making an educated guess, I suspect that you used one of these card numbers which resulted in the chargeback case you're currently seeing. If you wanted to confirm this, feel free to shoot us an email to support@shopify.com from the email on the account and posting your ticket number here, or you can give us a call or chat by heading to our help page: http://bit.ly/2uIPLIY

All the best,

Peter 
Shopify Support

Peter | Social Care @ Shopify
 - Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know! 
 - Was your question answered? Mark it as an Accepted Solution

To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Shopify Blog

0 Likes
Highlighted
2 0 0

Mystery solved. Yes that is correct. I used every one of those 4 card numbers during my different testing.

I was just worried that my account would be charged for a testing effort.

0 Likes
Highlighted
Shopify Partner
37 2 30

I'm actually trying to deliberately trigger a chargeback for testing purposes. Did it take you several days for the chargeback to show up? Or did you just mean that you didn't notice the email til a few days later?

I submitted an order with 4000000000000259 with test mode enabled, but it hasn't showed up as disputed yet.

0 Likes
Highlighted
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
1649 99 357

Hey, @Eric_Seastrand!

When using Shopify Payments in test mode, you should be able to use 4000000000000259 to stimulate a disputed transaction. Testing this out myself, the dispute should be opened almost immediately after the order was placed: 

18-27-uazcf-u59xb

That said, the email stating the order was disputed may not be immediate, however, you should be able to clearly see the dispute within your "Orders" area: 18-30-a6ik1-2pfiv

Is this what you're seeing on your side? If not, would you mind posting a few screenshots of the order so I can take a look?

0 Likes
Highlighted
Shopify Partner
37 2 30

I figured out why it didn't trigger a chargeback immediately: even in test mode, the chargeback doesn't happen until the payment is captured on the gateway.

To verify, I tried capturing payment on an old test order (which used that 0259 card #) and it immediately created the chargeback after I captured the payment.

After changing the store to capture payments automatically, my new orders trigger chargebacks instantly when the checkout happens.

This makes perfect sense (since that's how a CB would occur on a real transaction), but it could be beneficial to add a reminder to the documentation. I had expected that it would instantly trigger a CB when using that card #.

0 Likes
Highlighted
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
1649 99 357

Hey, @Eric_Seastrand!

Solid investigative work! I'll get that feedback over to our Docs team to see if they are able to update our help guide to help avoid any confusion in the future. In the meantime, let me know if you have any other questions.

0 Likes
Highlighted
1 0 0

How much time does it take for a chargeback test order to be resolved or what are the best practices in this case?

0 Likes
Highlighted
1 0 0

did you resolve? I'm in the same situation with a chargeback pending did in test mode. I'm little worried 

@DrMoniqueMay wrote:

How much time does it take for a chargeback test order to be resolved or what are the best practices in this case?

0 Likes
Highlighted
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
1649 99 357

@COSG @DrMoniqueMay 

When using Shopify Payments, you can test the gateway for a variety of different scenarios, which does include creating a fake chargeback dispute. When testing Shopify Payments, you'd use credit card number 4000000000000259 to simulate a disputed transaction. As this is a test order, there would not be a timeline for a resolution as the purpose of the simulated disputed transaction is to give you insight into what would happen if a chargeback were opened against your business. You would not need to action the simulated chargeback and can delete the test order from your admin. 

On the subject of chargebacks, I would recommend reviewing our help doc on the dispute process here. Having this information on hand should a chargeback be opened against you will help guide you through the process to help increase your success in winning the dispute.