Chargeback fee

Garth_Hjelte
Excursionist
20 0 21

I get the chargeback fee being imposed whether you win or lose the case.

But what about when someone places a chargeback with their bank by ignorance or mistake?

That happened just to me. I saw the chargeback, contacted the customer, and they agree they never should have done it. Can they rescind the chargeback on their end - like an annulment - and then the chargeback goes away and no fee is charged?

0 Likes
Jason_Beacon
Shopify Partner
182 6 29

Hi @Garth_Hjelte 

Most payment providers will not charge you a chargeback fee if it was decided in your favor.

Getting the customer to call their bank again to reverse the chargeback is probably more difficult than it is worth unless they really love your service/product. Instead, contact them to let them know that the money was returned/refunded to them and that in order to lift their account restrictions to kindly please make a new payment and include a discount code for their troubles.

Decrease fraudulent orders, stop chargebacks and expand globally with Beacon.

https://apps.shopify.com/beacon
0 Likes
Garth_Hjelte
Excursionist
20 0 21

Read my post again - they did the chargeback by mistake and they DO want to rescind it. I have to decide if I'm going to tell them to pay me for the fee if it's imposed; if it won't be imposed, then I can gladly tell them they don't have to pay me back.

So... looking for an answer to my actual question... if the client rescinds/cancels the chargeback, will the fee be dropped? (The Shopify FAQ doesn't answer this question.)

Look, this is tough enough, now that Shopify ripped their phones out. Otherwise in the normal world I would just call Shopify and ask them myself. (boo)

0 Likes
Jason_Beacon
Shopify Partner
182 6 29

@Garth_Hjelte 

There is no hard answer to your question because it all depends on the bank, credit card company, and payment gateway and how the chargeback was filed under.

As I have mentioned in most cases, if you win a chargeback, AKA your customer admits their mistake and properly calls their bank to rescind the chargeback, then the fee will not be imposed.

If your customer used Shopify Pay, then you can call Stripe to ask them to confirm if the fee gets waived if the customer wants to cancel the chargeback as Shopify Pay uses Stripe as their backend payment processor.

Decrease fraudulent orders, stop chargebacks and expand globally with Beacon.

https://apps.shopify.com/beacon
0 Likes
Garth_Hjelte
Excursionist
20 0 21

Jason, you really have to go slower and read my original question. (I appreciate your help though.)

I do not care about winning a chargeback, or what happens if I win a chargeback. I didn't even mention that.

My question (repeating myself) was "what if a person who filed a chargeback rescinds it (that is, cancels it with their bank) - in that case does the $15 fee get dropped?" The chargeback will vanish, there will be no winners or losers. So any talk about "if you win the chargeback" is irrelevant to my question and thus confusing.

OK, going forward... As far as I'm concerned, Shopify completely fronts Stripe. Shopify uses Stripe. I never call Stripe. And it's Shopify that charges me on behalf of Stripe.

I went with Stripe because I used to do the more complicated thing - run my own cart, have different companies doing gateway, processing, etc. I got Shopify so it would be one place.

OK, so what if I "called Stripe"? AFAIK, I can't call Stripe, the same way I can't call Shopify. And Shopify has no info I know of that allows me to call Stripe.

There's this: https://support.stripe.com/questions/contact-stripe-support

In order to request a callback, you have to "sign in to Stripe". But I can't log into Stripe, because I don't have a Stripe account! I have a Shopify account, not a Stripe account.

Again, thanks for your attempted help Jason, but you're giving me information I have absolutely no idea how to use. Sorry for being a newbie or other. Again, if I could only call Shopify, I wouldn't have to type this long thing... <sigh>

Please help.

0 Likes