Chargeback- help needed!

Highlighted
2 0 0
My customer placed an order and received their product. A few days ago they saw the transaction in their bank statement and didn’t recognize it. They claimed it as unknown and a chargeback was started. I contacted the customer and told them what happened. They canceled the dispute and the bank said the issue was resolved in favor of the merchant. Shopify still charged me the refund, and the fee for the chargeback. How can i fix this and how long will it take for shopify to refund me?
0 Likes
Highlighted
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
798 94 134

Hi, @ShayanYusuf,

Hank here from Shopify.

Chargebacks can be a tricky process to say the very least. Basically what happens is the customer starts the process with their bank, which submits the chargeback to Shopify and your store. The reason this may be dragged out is that the customer's bank controls the flow of the chargeback.

What I mean by that is in your Shopify admin, you will have a banner at the top of the affected order, stating that there is a chargeback open and its current status. There should be a date in this banner if the chargeback is still open advising of when the bank will have received the response or if they have closed the chargeback. This is something that the customer's bank would have to update as Shopify cannot close the chargeback.

The reason the chargeback was deducted from your payments, is at the request of the banking partners. The money, however, has not gone to the customer's bank but is on hold until a decision is made. If the bank has decided in your favor, they will send the request through to Shopify, and the chargeback amount and fee will be added back to your payout as per the below.

05-48-6514b-co0tp

So to summarise, once the customer's bank decides to end the chargeback dispute, then it will get reflected within your admin. Your customer may be able to assist with that and advise their bank to send the closed response to end the chargeback process, rather than waiting on the suggested date.

Let me know how you get on or if you have any further questions about this.

All the best, Hank.

Hank | Social Care @ Shopify 
 - Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know! 
 - Was your question answered? Mark it as an Accepted Solution
 - To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Shopify Blog

0 Likes
Highlighted
2 0 0
Hi,
So the chargeback was submitted to the bank a few days ago, and i got a email from shopify right now saying that the bank sided with the customer. I contacted the customer, and they sent me a picture showing that they were charged. So the bank charged them, meaning they took my side. But shopify says that the bank took the customers side.
0 Likes
Highlighted
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
798 94 134

All decisions come from bank communications as Shopify cannot settle a chargeback.

But as this is account specific, I will just need to verify your account. I will send you an email to the email address attached to this forum's account and confirm some security questions about your store. Once you reply to that email, I will look into this further for you.

Hank | Social Care @ Shopify 
 - Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know! 
 - Was your question answered? Mark it as an Accepted Solution
 - To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Shopify Blog

0 Likes