Chargeback - shopify took extra money from refunded items and more!

Highlighted
2 0 0

A customer bought several items.Two of which I refunded and then I shipped everything else...with proof of delivery through USPS tracking.

Then I receive a chargeback on the full amount and I not only do they take ALL the money including the items I refunded in the account!

I also showed the items I refunded in the case( picture of the receipt), I showed proof of delivery with a screen shot and tracking. in the case... and I lose? How is that possible? now there is no way to contact these thieves. So the customer doesn't have to return the product- they just get to keep it AND get their money back? How fair is that?

FYI the fraud protection on my site said said LOW RISK.....

I have owned other large businesses and have sold online with other companies for many years. I have done large chargebacks and won. This is a first--- but it's my first with shopify.

If this is that way it's going to go I'll just sign up with a sight that actually works and doesn't steal my money.

0 Likes
Highlighted
Shopify Partner
133 5 19

Hi @pomjoyfun 

I'm sorry to hear about your chargeback issues. I know that chargebacks can be a big pain for merchants and even though you have all the evidence in the world, you can still lose a case. Shopify's fraud system isn't that great and I would not use that as a base to determine fraudulent activities. I hear cases similar to yours all the time.

The likely hood of you recovering your money is quite low, but you can try to appeal the case and see if you can speak to someone in the risk management team with your gateway providers. Other than that, I would suggest you make sure the same customer is unable to make another repeat purchase from you in the future. Another more extreme suggestion is that you look into payment providers that have better seller protections. I also know that if you are in the U.S, Shopify has chargeback protection that you can look into. 

Decrease fraudulent orders, stop chargebacks and expand globally with Beacon. https://apps.shopify.com/beacon
0 Likes
Highlighted
2 0 0

Thank you. How do I appeal?

0 Likes