Chargeback then customer cancels

Solved
Highlighted
Tourist
3 0 2

My customer filed a chargeback with their bank stating "Not Delivered". 

When the package finally arrived, the customer contacted their bank to cancel the chargeback.

My question is, will shopify get the "memo" that that it was cancelled and reverse the chargeback on my account (I'm using Shopify Payments)?

My customer also requested a refund for 2 of the products that are in the original order that was chargedback. We notified the customer that we cannot issue a refund until the chargeback has been reversed on our end.

Or what does this process look like and what do I need to do on my end to make sure that the chargeback is reversed, if anything?

Any help/advise, etc. is welcomed.

0 Likes
Highlighted
Community Moderator
Community Moderator
3172 239 528

This is an accepted solution.

Hi @jcorp,

Nick here from Shopify. Really good question! 

In an instance where a customer files for a chargeback then cancels it, it can sometimes take a while for the bank to recognize the cancelation. It can even take the full time allowed for a chargeback to process. Because of this, the best step to take is to see if the customer can provide you with an official letter from their bank, stating that it's canceled, and then the store owner (you) can submit that to Shopify via the admin for review. Shopify might be able to take a look at it with Stripe and expedite it, but can't always gaurentee success. 

If the response window is not open still, the best way to submit the customer bank letter would be by starting a ticket with Shopify via email. Shopify also has a help guide going through some of this which you can see here

I hope this helps and if you have any other questions about it, please don't hesitate to ask in a reply here. 

All the best, Nick

Nick | Community Moderator @ Shopify
 - Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know! 
 - Was your question answered? Mark it as an Accepted Solution
 - To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Shopify Blog

0 Likes
Highlighted
Tourist
3 0 2

Hi @Nick ,

Thanks for the info! This was exactly what I was needing/looking for!

Great job!

Thanks again

1 Like
Community Moderator
Community Moderator
3172 239 528

Fantastic to hear this @jcorp. As I mentioned if you have any other questions, just let me or the support team know

Shopify has a helpful guide about Fraud prevention which you could interest you to help prevent more chargebacks occurring. You can find it here. There is also a good selection of fraud prevention apps to choose from in the Shopify app store here

0 Likes
Highlighted
1 0 0

Hi @Nick ,

I know this is an old thread, but I have a similar issue where the customer canceled their chargeback and wants to proceed with an exchange.  She received the official bank email and forwarded it to me, and I attached it to our response in the chargeback.  I emailed Shopify suppor with no response, and I'm a bit concerned that it's been almost 30 days, and no response/change has occurred even though everything seems resolved on both our end and the bank's end.  Help would be appreciated! Thanks!

0 Likes
Highlighted
Tourist
3 0 2

Hi Courtney,

Once the chargeback has been filed with the bank, it still has to go through the process... I believe this case took near 3 months if I remember correctly. It was resolved in my favor (you'd think right?)... but just in case, I still submitted my Chargeback response, attaching emails, the buyer cancellation letter, etc... basically all evidence.

It's just a waiting game after that.

Hope this helps...

1 Like
Highlighted
Community Moderator
Community Moderator
3172 239 528

Hi @courtneyc,

No worries about commenting on an older thread if it's relevant. As @jcorp mentioned it can take a while for this to come through, sometimes longer than 30 days. I know that's not the greatest feeling, having to wait, but once the chargeback process has started it must be followed through. Can you reply with your ticket no. from Shopify and I can follow up with you on it there if you want? 

The best way is to still follow the instructions I replied to @jcorp with initially about this. 

0 Likes
Highlighted
4 0 0

what if the customer does not want to reverse the charge after they receive a delayed package ??

Also, what shocked me is that I just had a customer whose package has arrived in her town and is ot moving. Maybe they are swamped. The same day (a week after the package got there) she wrote asking me to put a tarcer and a claim to UPS which I did withing hours of her e-mail. SHE, in the same time went to ask Visa for a refund. Before UPS could even answer me they had locate the package, I had the bank taking back the money from our store, without even waiting for an answer of what happened.

WHAT THE HELL IS THIS ???

I bought something in the past that arrived broken and the company I was dealing with would not deal with the return and this was the 1st time in my life I called Visa to get involved. they took the info, but they had to deal with the online store before I could get my money back. And that took few weeks.

No, on Shopify, people simply have to say they did not get the package, call their credit card company and thye come in our account. I am really pissed off at this type of service

0 Likes