Chargeback

4 0 0

So this regular customer of our's decided to file a chargeback on us, for all her orders placed since October.   With chargeback fees, it's close to $600.

We've been in contact with customer before this, and they were always happy with their orders.

What are the chances of successfully winning this chargeback?   We've never had one before using Shopify payments.   We submitted all the necessary info (tracking, fulfillment date, etc)

0 Likes
Explorer
265 0 21

What reason did they give?

0 Likes
4 0 0

Some were listed as Fraudulent.   And some were listed as General.

The orders go from Oct 28th thru Dec 30th.

8 Chargeback claims from this customer today,  but they've placed a total of 22 orders since Oct 28th  (ALL are on the same credit card).

0 Likes
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
170 0 18

Hi Joseph!

Kerstin here from the Shopify Guru Team.

I'm really sorry to hear about this negative experience you're having with your regular customer. Banks usually ask customers for a reason for the chargeback and it seems like this customer used both 'general' and 'fraudulent' but this does not mean that this chargeback has been lost for you!

The bank will now initiate its chargeback resolution process to see if the chargeback is valid. You could also contact your customerto see why she initiated these chargebacks and if she would be prepared to drop them. Depending on her reaction, this might be further valid evidence for you. Do you have a tracking number, delivery information or anything signed from your customer? That would be good evidence too.

The next step is to respond to the chargeback by uploading and supplying your evidence for a chance to get your money back, including the chargeback fee. So if you disagree with this chargeback, you can upload your evidence now - the more the better - but you can only do this once, i.e. you cannot resubmit or add evidence at a later stage.  

Then the bank decides which party wins or loses the chargeback. We have some more information explaining chargebacks and how to deal with them here in our Help Centre so feel free to check that out also.

I wish you the best of luck with this and if you if you have any further questions, just reply to this thread or reach out to our support channels via chat, phone, or email.

Kerstin K.

0 Likes
21 0 0

Hi Joseph, 

I am sorry to hear about the chargebacks. May I know the current status, post the submission of the relevant documents. 

Harish

harish@chargebackgurus.com (s) cbgurus.harish
0 Likes
1 0 0

I have had a similar experience, a customer filed a chargeback in error and has called back her CC company to let them know it was a mistake, but I am still waiting for the money to be returned to me. This has been going on for a month now.

0 Likes
Shopify Expert
389 6 58

Hey Joseph!

I'm sorry to hear that you've been having trouble with chargebacks. I know how much of a hassle they are to deal with, and that depending on your bank, they can be a big headache to the stability of your account. I would 100% recommend reading over this doc before responding to any chargebacks.

Shopify can't guarantee whether or not any customer will initiate a chargeback. With that said, the built-in fraud prevention system is one of the best in the industry. Shopify works with banks, credit card companies, ISPs and more to pin down fraud (and mark orders as high risk). But ultimately, the transaction is between you and your customers - Shopify simply provides the most feature rich and secure platform available. When chargebacks do occur, Shopify offer a means to send responses directly to the customer's bank, as well as contact the customer to try to resolve the issue between you and them.

I won't placate the issue - chargebacks suck. As an owner of my own business on Shopify, I have to deal with them too. Sometimes customers change their minds about an order after it's been paid, sometimes they get in trouble with their parents or spouse and initiate it - we can never be fully sure why. 

There's an app in the app store - developed by a 3rd party - called Signifyd Fraud Prevention - 100% Chargeback Guarantee and guarantees no more chargebacks. I would highly recommend adding this app to your shop if you've been having trouble with chargebacks. 

Hope this helps,

★ Did my post help? If yes, then please like and accept solution. ★

→ Have me build your Shopify store @ stephens.world
→ Get your FREE 30-Step Setup Guide @ stephens.world/guide
→ View My Official Expert Profile @ stephens.world/expert
→ Want to buy me lunch? stephens.world/lunch

0 Likes
7 0 0

I am all too familiar with this. Its called "White Collar Fraud". Customers do this to gain the product and their money back. You have a better chance of beating it if your selling actual products that requires delivery, possibly a signature and tracking information.

0 Likes
1 0 0

Hi Joseph < I also that experience, most probal jenwin reson they are but Chargebacks are also caused by mistakes made by the retailers themselves. it is also important to make sure that the processing procedure is optimized. Make sure that you get authorization first before processing any transaction. It is also important that any transaction is processed once. This is solve professional adviser and Chargeback Expertz Team . I Appreaciate you write on this evidence and i hope this help +1 855-465-4723.

0 Likes
Highlighted

Can I ask how your situation ended? I'm in the same situation where my customer filed a chargeback against me by accident. I've submitted  two emails between my customer and I confirming that they made an error and that this was not a fraudulent transaction.  I felt condifent that this would be resolved, but looking into it further, it seems like the banks don't actually look into this and just take your money!!

how did this end for you?

thank you!

0 Likes