Charging VAT as a US store?

Shopify Partner
10 0 2

Hi there,

I am trying to find more information on the legalities/proper way to go about shipping to countries with VAT.

We are a US-based and registered store. Do we need to collect VAT from EU customers? If so, is there a proper way of reporting and submitting said VAT taxes to the proper entities overseas?

Or is this simply recommended? I know that in some cases the "letter of the law" differs from what happens in practice. 

0 Likes
Highlighted
Community Manager
Community Manager
2400 163 352

Hi @Jon_C33,

Nick here from Shopify. 

This is a great question as taxes can be difficult to figure out even on the best of days. 

It is something which I will recommend you talk to your local tax office or a professional accountant about as they would know the tax laws best for where you are operating from. From my experience, I don't believe you need to charge VAT to a European customer if you are selling from the USA, but I might not be 100% on that either. It would definitely be best to talk to a professional in the area about this to be sure. 

There is however a helpful guide for how to set up your taxes to apply them automatically from the USA. You can see the guide here

Hope this helps! 

All the best, Nick

Nick | Social Care @ Shopify
 - Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know! 
 - Was your question answered? Mark it as an Accepted Solution
 - To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Shopify Blog

0 Likes
Shopify Partner
10 0 2

Thanks for your reply Nick. Lots of more research to do here but I appreciate your comments.

1 Like