Solved

Checkout Does Not ask for Delivery Address

srb32459
Excursionist
24 0 11

Hi,

We are a small rental business that delivers the items to vacationers.  We need the billing address to verify the credit card, but Shopify never asks for delivery address.  How can I get it to also require a separate delivery address (I unchecked the box regarding that they match by default).

Thanks!

Accepted Solution (1)

Sophia
Shopify Staff
1669 109 218

This is an accepted solution.

Hi, @srb32459!

Sophia here from Shopify. I'd be happy to take a closer look into the online checkout issue for you to make sure you're able to collect both the shipping and billing address from your customers. To confirm, is this what your Order processing settings look like under Settings > Checkout in the admin?:

03-49-gp5x7-42szl

It sounds like you've got this part taken care of already, so the other setting you'll want to check is whether your product details have "This is a physical product" selected:
03-54-v0eou-944sh

You can check this setting on each individual product under Products > All products or by using the Bulk editor by going to Products, selecting all products whose Shipping settings you want to check, then selecting "Edit products". Once in the Bulk editor, you can select Add fields > Requires shipping to view the Shipping settings for each product:

03-01-btdbm-b8dqu

I believe that ensuring the products are marked as requiring shipping will also resolve the issue of shipping rates not appearing that you mentioned in this thread. If both of these settings are taken care of and you're still not seeing a separate section for the shipping address in the checkout, please let me know and I can send you an email to take a look into your account. 

Sophia | Social Care @ Shopify 
 - Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know! 
 - Was your question answered? Mark it as an Accepted Solution
 - To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Shopify Blog

View solution in original post

Replies 18 (18)

Sophia
Shopify Staff
1669 109 218

This is an accepted solution.

Hi, @srb32459!

Sophia here from Shopify. I'd be happy to take a closer look into the online checkout issue for you to make sure you're able to collect both the shipping and billing address from your customers. To confirm, is this what your Order processing settings look like under Settings > Checkout in the admin?:

03-49-gp5x7-42szl

It sounds like you've got this part taken care of already, so the other setting you'll want to check is whether your product details have "This is a physical product" selected:
03-54-v0eou-944sh

You can check this setting on each individual product under Products > All products or by using the Bulk editor by going to Products, selecting all products whose Shipping settings you want to check, then selecting "Edit products". Once in the Bulk editor, you can select Add fields > Requires shipping to view the Shipping settings for each product:

03-01-btdbm-b8dqu

I believe that ensuring the products are marked as requiring shipping will also resolve the issue of shipping rates not appearing that you mentioned in this thread. If both of these settings are taken care of and you're still not seeing a separate section for the shipping address in the checkout, please let me know and I can send you an email to take a look into your account. 

srb32459
Excursionist
24 0 11

Thank you Sophia!  Adding the column "requires shipping" fixed the issue.

Sophia
Shopify Staff
1669 109 218

Perfect! I'm happy to hear that worked out for you.

The price-based manual rates that you set up appear to cover every price range from $1+ as well, so you should see rates appearing in the online checkout now for every customer whose delivery address is covered by your shipping zones. Please don't hesitate to reach out if you have any other questions.

srb32459
Excursionist
24 0 11

Hey Sophia,

I was hoping you might have a trick to change all references to "Shipping" on my site to instead say "Delivery."  We don't actually ship anything since we just deliver rental items locally.  It can confuse people when their delivery is referred to as shipping.  I attached snips from Cart Page and Checkout Page to show where I'd like to make some changes.  

Thank you!checkout delivery.PNGdelivery cart.PNG

Sophia
Shopify Staff
1669 109 218

Hey, @srb32459!

I believe you'll be able to replace all instances of "shipping" under Online Store > Themes > Actions > Edit languages. The available language settings may depend on the theme you're using, but you can search "shipping" there to see what you'll be able to edit. It should look something like this:

04-45-nki5v-93atr

Just enter the desired text into the fields here and click Save to publish your changes. Any time you're making changes to your theme, I recommend downloading a backup copy first just to be safe. Let me know how it goes!

srb32459
Excursionist
24 0 11

Thank you, You're the best Sophia!  I was able to change all of those as needed.

Do you have any tips for combining the information page and delivery page?  Our local delivery is calculated off the total rental amount so it saves a step for our customers to not have to click to the delivery page.  Additionally, taxes on the delivery are not counted on the information page.  This means the info page has the incorrect taxes amount until the customer clicks "continue to delivery".  Please my attached pics for reference.

Thank you,

Bryantaxes with delivery.PNGtaxes pre delivery.PNGdelivery page.PNG

Sophia
Shopify Staff
1669 109 218

Hi, Bryan.

You're welcome! I'm happy to hear you were able to change the wording in the checkout.

Aside from the language settings, you can customize some visual aspects of the checkout, but you won't be able to remove any of the checkout's pages. This is because the checkout currently needs to pull "shipping" rates to determine whether the customer is covered by your shipping zones (or in this case, delivery area) even if you're not technically shipping any orders.

I wonder if it might make more sense to change the checkout steps to "Cart > Information > Taxes > Payment". The button on the Information page could read, "Continue to taxes" instead of "Continue to delivery". What do you think of that at as a workaround?

srb32459
Excursionist
24 0 11

Thanks again for a quick response Sofia.   Unfortunately that will still lead to the issue where tax is calculated as soon as a customer enters a shipping address.  In case above tax is calculated on an $80 order ($5.60).  Then on the next page tax is recalculated including the $20 delivery fee for tax on $100 ($7).  So in essence the information page is showing them wrong amount of tax.  

Would a possible workaround be the information page just be for them to enter delivery address?  Meaning can I get rid of the subtotal side bar?  Then when on payment page the subtotal, delivery fee, correct taxes, and correct total appear on the sidebar.

Thanks,

Bryan

Sophia
Shopify Staff
1669 109 218

Hey, Bryan!

My apologies for not touching base on the difference in tax calculation before.

We're not able to remove the Taxes line from the summary in the checkout, but I can submit feedback to the appropriate teams here about this. I'll let them know that you would prefer to see it only on the Shipping/Delivery page instead so that the customer doesn't see two different calculations (one tax charge before they enter their delivery address and a new charge afterwards). Thank you for bringing this to my attention.

If you find that customers are frequently commenting on the difference between taxes in the checkout stages, adding a disclaimer about the calculation to the cart page and/or FAQ or delivery policy pages might help. Please let me know if you have any questions about this.

WK100
Explorer
55 1 9

@srb32459 @Sophia Hey guys, have the same question here. What fields did you have to change in the 'theme content' to be able to change the title of checkout section from 'shipping' to 'delivery'. I am trying to change the sections below that I have circled: 

WK100_0-1696566931315.png

Sophia
Shopify Staff
1669 109 218

Hi, @WK100!

This might differ based on your theme. In the theme content for my test store's current theme, I'm only seeing the following options for "shipping" at checkout:

• Continue to shipping method
  • Back to shipping method
  • Choose shipping method

If you're using one of the free themes from Shopify, I recommend getting in touch with our team via the Shopify Help Center so we can ask our Theme Support team about this. I can't guarantee that they'll be able to help you customize this text, but it's worth asking.

Joflo
Tourist
12 0 2

Hi, is it possible to have the option to do shipping address standard and as an option billing address? Like you would have with physical product but then also with not physical products? Because we want to skip the step with shipping method, we do not use that. You should just be able to fill in (in order) shipping address, billing address (optional) and done. This is for pppl who want to buy it on their company name but deliver it to someone else or for a gift.

Sophia
Shopify Staff
1669 109 218

@Joflo wrote:

Hi, is it possible to have the option to do shipping address standard and as an option billing address? Like you would have with physical product but then also with not physical products? Because we want to skip the step with shipping method, we do not use that. You should just be able to fill in (in order) shipping address, billing address (optional) and done. This is for pppl who want to buy it on their company name but deliver it to someone else or for a gift.

Hi, @Joflo!

If you ensure that "Use the shipping address as the billing address by default" remains unchecked under Settings > Checkout, customers will be able to enter separate shipping and billing addresses. The settings should look like this:

24-03-xira2-kys2w

Customers enter the shipping (delivery) address on the Shipping stage of the checkout, and will have the option to use the same address or a different address for billing on the Payment stage of the checkout. The Billing address section will look something like this:

24-03-563z2-uy24g
You can customize some visual aspects of the checkout, but you won't be able to remove any of the checkout's pages. Even if you're selling a product that doesn't need to be shipped, the checkout needs to pull "shipping" rates to determine whether the customer is within the regions your store sells to (shipping zones). Please let me know if you have any questions.

HXJewelry
Tourist
5 0 1

Thanks for your guide.

I tried to set up the configurations by following your instruction. However, there is no"Required shipping" option in my "Add fields" in the Bulk editor. 

One more thing, how can I bulk configure all products to physical products? 

Any ideas?

Looking forward to your reply! Thanks!

Sophia
Shopify Staff
1669 109 218

@HXJewelry wrote:

Thanks for your guide.

I tried to set up the configurations by following your instruction. However, there is no"Required shipping" option in my "Add fields" in the Bulk editor. 

One more thing, how can I bulk configure all products to physical products? 

Any ideas?

Looking forward to your reply! Thanks!

Hi, @HXJewelry!

The Requires shipping field should be visible in the Bulk editor even for products that aren't currently set as physical. It is part of the Shipping category shown below:

19-40-24772-34330

If you don't see this field in your admin, please contact our team via live chat, email, or callback in the Shopify Help Center so we can look into this with you.

Are you dropshipping or using a print on demand service, or do you ship the inventory yourself? The process for setting each product as "This is a physical product" will depend on how your products were set up.

• If the products were imported with a dropshipping or print on demand app, you don't likely need to change these settings. It's best to double check with the app developer in this case, but in either of these cases, orders typically sync with the app, and the suppliers know to ship the products.
  • If you are shipping your own inventory that was added to the admin either manually or via CSV file, you can use a CSV file to update the shipping information. The Variant Requires Shipping column of the product CSV file will determine whether the product is physical and requires shipping. Do not use a CSV file to update products if you're dropshipping or using print on demand, as this will likely break the connection between the products and the app.

HXJewelry
Tourist
5 0 1

Hi @Sophia 

Thanks so much for your clear instruction. I will update all my products and try again to see if the shipping address fields will appear during the checkout process.

Sophia
Shopify Staff
1669 109 218

@HXJewelry wrote:

Hi @Sophia 

Thanks so much for your clear instruction. I will update all my products and try again to see if the shipping address fields will appear during the checkout process.

You're welcome! I hope it's helpful. Let me know how it goes.

HXJewelry
Tourist
5 0 1

@Sophia It works. Appreciate your instructions!