Checkout without inputting credit card (with discount code)

Highlighted
3 0 0

Is it possible to offer a free digital product through the use of a 100% off discount code, but not require the customer to input their credit card info at check out? 

Scenario: A retail outlet offers a free stream of my movie as a purchase incentive. I send the retail outlet a list of bulk discount codes for 100% off the stream. When the retail customer makes a purchase, they receive (from the retail partner) a discount code (expires after one use) that they can redeem through my store. The customer receives a link to the video on the checkout confirmation page.

I want to ensure access to the free video is linked to a 1x use through a discount code, but don't want the customer to enter their personal information. Is this possible?

0 Likes
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
597 33 72

Hi, @Chris379 !

Katy here from Shopify. I hope all is well!

Yes, this is indeed possible to set up. When creating this item on your store, you will just need to specify that it is not a physical item, this way no shipping information will be required when completing the order. The customer however will need to add some details - name, email and address. There is no way to switch this off, but upon adding the discount code they will not be prompted for any payment details.

Once the discount code matches the value of the item (e.g. 100% off) then the customer will see a message similar to the one below, informing them that the order is for free:

03-16-rxjci-123wz

You can adjust this text here if you like, including the 'pay now' button, to 'complete' for example, or something more neutral so that it represents both paid and free orders on your store. We have some info to help with this here

When working with digital items, you will also need an app to then help get the files to your customers. There are both free and paid options available for this:

With each option it is possible to offer a downloadable link at the checkout. You can also find some more examples within our blog here

We have also some info on working with discount codes too. You can specify the each code may only be used once, along with the date range which it is valid for and amount.

03-15-dxgr7-kz7vr

I hope this helps - do feel free to let me know if you have any questions at all.

Cheers,
Katy

Katy | Social Care @ Shopify
 - Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know! 
 - Was your question answered? Mark it as an Accepted Solution
 - To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Shopify Blog

0 Likes