Combine free shipping with no shipping

Highlighted
Excursionist
19 0 16

Hi all, 

This topic has been discussed regularly but I can't find the exact scenario, so perhaps there's a solution for me. I ship home decor goods and the shipping is based on item weight and dimensions. Starting from a certain purchasing total I offer free shipping, however there are some items that cannot be shipped at all and can only be picked up in the shop (furniture). So, I have added shipping costs for everything below 20kg and made all the furniture heavier than 20kg so that no shipping option at all shows up except 'pick up in store'. 

Unfortunately, just now someone ordered a chair and I will have to go deliver the chair myself as the price was high enough to qualify for 'free shipping' - which is not excluded by the weight limitations. 

I know that with some clever combinations of weight and price setting as well as shipping rules almost everything can be in- or excluded but I really see no way out here. 

Thanks in advance for the help. 

1 Like
Highlighted
1 0 0

I agree - have just found myself in the same scenario in testing my site.  Any answers anyone please?

0 Likes
Highlighted
Excursionist
19 0 16

Hi @Aucklander , it is frustrating isn't it?

There is a way around it but it is not satisfying for me. For those products you want to exclude from shipping altogether you can go to the relevant product page in your Shopify and uncheck the box that says 'This is a physical product'. Shopify will then treat it as a virtual product and thus no shipping options will show up during check-out nor any delivery address (only a billing address). 

Although this technically does what I want (people cannot choose free delivery for furniture anymore) it also means that the 'Pick up in showroom' option is gone. It feels like it just makes it redundant for anyone to order any furniture through the website at all, which defeats the purpose a bit.

I have now chosen to keep the free shipping option but instead of just 'Free shipping' it now says 'Free shipping (except furniture)'. As a second option, 'Pick up in showroom' shows up. 

It's really unsatisfying; we can only hope that Shopify will soon include an option to exclude certain products from shipping or have the possibility to add a simple 'Pick up in store' option (as opposed to manipulating the weight and purchasing amount values). 

0 Likes