Component Inventory Management App

Highlighted
Tourist
6 0 2

I have seen some posts on this float around the forums and was hoping that there is some new information on it out there.

We are looking for an inventory management system that can handle components or raw materials or assemblies as it is often referred to. We will start selling products online that share different raw materials, so we need to be able to keep track of those and create the dependencies between raw materials and finished products.

In our case that is fairly easy because we only sell t-shirts with different prints on it and keep unprinted / plain t-shirts as raw materials. Once somebody order a t-shirt online, it would be printed on the spot on the plain t-shirts market as raw material.

We have been using Stitch Labs for the last 10 months and have been super happy with the app and the team but need to move to something that can keep track these components.

Bizelo looks like it should be be able to do that, but after two weeks of testing the system showed lots of issues paired with a somewhat unresponsive costumer service. So I want to keep looking.

Checked out Ordoro as well. They seem to be able to handle kits made up of different finished goods but not raw materials that are needed to create finished good.So not an option.

And that is it, I am out. Does anybody have a solution to this? Do you know of more apps worthy of giving a try? How do other companies handle this?

Thanks, any help is appreciated!

0 Likes
Highlighted
Excursionist
63 0 4

Hi Felix --

Sorry for the problems and customer support issues. We've been working through some new integrations that have been consuming our support resources. Yes indeed, we can handle component and raw material goods, and indeed, we have a number of customers doing that now. I see you've set up a new trial, and I just sent you some queries your way. Let's see if we can work this through for you. If it works, happy to have you on board, if not, happy to help you find something that works for you.

All the best,

Ron

Bizelo eRetail SaaS apps: Inventory, Pick/Pack, and Ship (IPS), Returns Management, and Supplier Management. Check it out at http://eretail.bizelo.com
0 Likes
Highlighted
Shopify Expert
4259 32 432

I built an App for a company that builds t-shirts out of raw materials. Therefore they have a need for the order workflow management as opposed to inventory. The App I built them called Assembler is useful in helping out with these kinds of operations. 

For one, you can setup any kind of order status conditions you need. For example "Waiting on materials", or "Entering pre-production", etc. 

So, an order can be assigned various statuses. Additionally, you can communicate each of the status changes to clients and customers via custom emails. 

Finally, you get a report showing you which orders are at which stage at any time, so you can quickly determine where in production you are with various orders.

Thought I would throw that one in since your problem is not just inventory, but also seems to be order workflow.

Custom Shopify Apps built just for you! hunkybill@gmail.com http://www.resistorsoftware.com
0 Likes
Highlighted
Tourist
6 0 2

Thanks Ron, have seen your mail and will go through them right now.

Assembler sounds interesting, although I could imagine that the workflow you have build out might be a bit to elaborate for us. We don't produce the shirts from scratch we just stock plain shirts that we sell as they are or print on if demanded. Nonetheless perhaps you can post some screen shots or something of that sort to give me (and others) a better idea of your app works?

Thanks!

0 Likes
Highlighted
Shopify Partner
4 0 0

Felix,

It sounds like you're looking for would involve keeping track of a mini-manufacturing process. Right now, in Stitch you can create your plain shirts as an item but mark them as "unsellable" and decrement them as you use them.

To mark them as "unsellable", in Stitch, navigate to Inventory -> Product -> Other Product Details -> Sellable or component. Here, change the setting from "This product is sellable" to "This product is only a component for other products".

Let us know what other questions you have.

Thanks for your loyalty!

Bridge

www.stitchlabs.com

0 Likes
Highlighted
Tourist
6 0 2

Hi Bridge, thanks for the reply.

We talked quite a bit about that function with your team and we think its just not practical to manually update the quantity of raw materials every time we sell something.

Please do keep me and all the others on here updated on when we can link these unsellable goods to goods on sale in a way that they automatically reduce the quantity.

cheers,

Felix

0 Likes
Highlighted
Shopify Partner
52 0 1

Hi Felix,

Since you've heard from everyone else on your list, well we just have to chime in too! :)

Our kitting function would work for raw materials too.  In Ordoro you can create your raw material SKUs, then you can build kits using your finished products which would contain the raw materials SKUs as kit components.  Anytime someone orders a t-shirt, it would decrease the quantity of the plain t-shirts.

Here are a couple of articles that explain how it works:

This is how you can create your Raw Materials SKUs in Ordoro: http://support.ordoro.com/customer/portal/articles/786965-how-to-manually-add-products-to-ordoro

This is how kitting works:

http://support.ordoro.com/customer/portal/articles/693985-how-kitting-bundling-works-in-ordoro

Hope that helps!  Let us know if you have any questions.

Naruby

http://apps.shopify.com/ordoro- Automated Dropshipping, Easy Shipping Labels (USPS, Fedex, UPS) and Powerful Inventory Management for Shopify stores
0 Likes
Highlighted
Tourist
6 0 2

Dear all. We finally found the solution to all our problems! Meet Tradevine: 

http://tradevine.com/

A big shout out to their amazing support team for being awesome and making their incredible poweful and sophisticated system tailored to the use in New Zealand even usable from India!

Hope this helps people looking for a similar solutions!

Cheers,

Felix

0 Likes
Highlighted
1 0 0

I found a problem with Tradevine regarding inventory update speed. I have two products A and B which share raw material C. I have enough raw material C to make 10 units of A and 15 units of B. If someone puts in an order for 15 units of product B, it does not update the availability of product A in Shopify right away. It will allow someone to then order up to 10 units of product A. This is a problem. In the same way, someone could purchase 10 units of product A and 15 units of product B in the same purchase. This is also a problem. Shopify needs to communicate with Tradevine to check raw material inventory before it allows the order to be placed, and it needs to update the inventory as soon as a purchase is complete. 

Any thoughts?

0 Likes
Highlighted
Shopify Expert
4259 32 432

We are all subject to the same operational rules with our Apps. The common pattern we all share in these "kitting" or "bundling" Apps is that an order goes through, and we cannot actually change remaining inventory on the "sub-products" making up a bundle till the Webhook for that Order is received. So in the meantime, which could easily be minutes on a busy day, other carts are checking out inventory of the same products, and causing the inconsistency. 

My thought is to build in a small buffer with a threshold of pain the merchant can handle. Sales continue till that threshold is exceeded, at which point the customer can no longer purchase a product composed of others that have exceeded this threshold. Set it low enough to ensure almost all sales work. Set it too high and you're not selling out, set it too low, and you're selling what you do not have anymore. Learn the threshold level. Not too hard a concept I think.

Be nice to hear how others handle this. So far I have found nothing any one has made that is stellar enough to copy or improve. 

Custom Shopify Apps built just for you! hunkybill@gmail.com http://www.resistorsoftware.com
0 Likes