Confusion with local currency vs store currency vs displayed product price in my store

Shopify Partner
7 0 3

Hi

Hope you guys are doing well. I have searched the forum but could not find my answer (or maybe I did not understand)

I am currently setting up my store and I live in the United Arab Emirates. So the store currency is AED. When I use AED as store currency there is no problem and I see correct prices as USD in my store. In order to activate Paypal, I need to change my currency to USD. When I do it, prices in my store is being multiplied by 3.65 which is the AED to the USD exchange rate. So let's say, the product selling price is AED 365 and if my store currency is set up as AED I am getting the correct price in my store as  USD 100 (which is equal to AED 365), but in order to comply with Paypal, when I change my store currency to USD, the same item is showing the price as USD 365. All items in the store having the same pricing logic and they are being multiplied by 3.65. Hope it is clear. Can you advise how to solve this problem? 

Thanks

0 Likes
Shopify Partner
1704 47 149

Your stores currency setting defines what the price amount on products should be, if it's USD you need to set it to converted USD prices.

Then let the presentment currency for AED be displayed the product price times 3.65 if paypal requires you to be using USD.

admin product price USD100

USD frontend presentment currency = USD100

AEB frontend presentment currency = AEB365

checkout price USD100

When in doubt make some $0.01, $0.10 or $1 products to keep the conversions simple and test the flow.

Problem Solved? ✔️Accept the solution so you can help others.
Confused? Busy? ? Get me to solve it paull.newton+shopifyforum@gmail.com.
Buy me a coffee? ☕ paypal.me/paulnewton or donate to eff.org
1 Like
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
331 67 106

Hey, there!

Jason here from Shopify Support.

@PaulNewton is correct! This depends on what your original setting is. You can check your store currency by Shopify admin > Settings > General > Store currency. If the currency is set as AED, remember to switch it to USD. This way, your storefront currency will restore back to the correct rate. Here's a screenshot from my test store for clarification. 
07_34-x9fdd-kwb05

If for any reason you can't update this setting, feel free to contact our 24/7 support team or reach out to this thread (I'll move the conversation to email) and I'd be happy to assist you with the currency update.

If there’s anything else I can help you out with, please don’t hesitate to reply back and I’d be happy to help out!

All the best,
Jason

Jason | Social Care @ Shopify
Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know!
Was your question answered? Mark it Accept as Solution to help others locate the answer!
Your Like and Accept as Solution are much appreciated!
To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center, or the Shopify Blog.

1 Like
Highlighted
Shopify Partner
7 0 3

Hey @JasonC and @PaulNewton 

Thanks for replies and support.

My store currency is in USD now, storefront, product page, and checkout page are showing in USD as well. The issue is if the product was AED 100, when I change my store currency to USD from AED, it shows the same product price as  USD 100 instead of multiplying it AED to the USD exchange rate (0.27) and show the product price correctly as $27.23. It might be something simple but cannot see it now...

0 Likes
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
331 67 106

Hey, there!

Have you checked your store setting as I had mentioned above yet? There's a chance that your store currency is showing USD simply because of the theme you're using, not because of the store admin setting (the two aren't related to each other). Again, you can check your store setting from Shopify admin > Settings > General > Store currency

To have your product currency on AED 100 stays in AED 100, you'll need to ensure that your actual store setting is in USD, not AED. Otherwise, you'll keep seeing the odd multiple rates when you use the currency converter. 

If your store currency setting is in AED and this issue persists, feel free to reach out right away. I'd be happy to look into it for you. Let me know how it goes! 

Best,

Jason

Was your question answered? Mark it Accept as Solution to help others locate the answer!

0 Likes
Shopify Partner
7 0 3

Hi @JasonC 

Yes, my store currency was USD as you showed and when I do this change, it was just changing an AED 100 product to USD 100 rather than making it something around 27 USD with a correct exchange rate. Now I did not change anything and kept store currency as USD and added a new product from modalyst and store is showing correct prices with correct exchange rate. It seems problem just resolved for newly added products. Thanks for the support.

0 Likes
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
331 67 106

Hi, there!

I'm glad that your currency issue was resolved. As mentioned, once you've made the adjustment, the rate will be correct. As long as your store currency setting is with USD, the AED from the currency converter will convert the product's rate correctly. The idea is that your AED rate does require your customers to use the converter to convert the rates.

Cheers,

Jason

1 Like